Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice on Divorce please - have no money

I am having marital problems and recently discovered my DH is contacting an old gf on Facebook. Besides that, he has been distant for many many months, and i have some proof and have not confronted him yet, but the messages are pretty bad. If we do end up getting a divorce, is there a way to go about it that won't cost an arm, leg, or the first born?

We've got 5 kids ranging from 5-16 whom I homeschool, and I've not worked since we got married 15 yrs ago. Is there such a thing as a non-expensive divorce when there are kids involved? I'm sure we'll at least need some sort of mediator, I will definitely want and need child support and alimony. I don't see him as being unreasonable, but I'm sure he's not going to want to hand over his whole paycheck either.

My brother is in the middle of a nasty divorce right now that should have been cut and dry. There were no kids, no house, just a lot of bills, loans, and a few cars. She is being a real pita and is completely non-responsive. My brother is practically bleeding money right now, paying his bills, her bills (his name is on them), paying the lawyer, etc. If this scenario were to happen to me, and I have no income, how on earth would we manage?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • most state/counties you can fell the papers yourself, as long as you and him agree on the terms set forth.....some counties even have legal aid offices that will give you advice on how to fill out the paper work and you can apply for a fee wavier if you cant pay court cost.....just go down to the local county clerks office (usual located in the court house building or near by) and ask for the paper work and refural to legal aid......good luck and i'm sorry about your husband

    Answer by cara124 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • Call your local courthouse and ask about low-cost no-cost legal aide. These are sometimes run by paralegals of schools. Call the number they gaive you and ask them . . . they will likely have suggestions.

    One of the nasty things that happens during divorce, is, sometimes the judge assesses you "ability" to pull in an income, and will figure out support based on that. In your case, he/she could say that you are expected to work full-time, so he will only give enough extra help that is on top of that. It depends on how much money you and your husband work off of, though. It is really scary and unfair, I know.

    Because your kids are homeschooled, and you probably want to keep it that way, you may HAVE to do mediation . . or some type of other amicable agreement, and just pay for papers to be filed.

    If you expect a fight, it may be worth you waiting it out until you have a plan of action . . .

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • And, by the way, I am so sorry . . . I hope everything works out mama!

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:49 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • What state are you in? I think that 5 kids in most states is 75% of his paycheck, but check to be sure,, I would call a lawyer, most of them do a meeting for free, and then take a portion of your settlement,, your not going to know how he would react, so you need someone to file child support/spousal support for you at the time of seperation, please make sure to print all of the messages between the ex and him,, so sorry momma, but you can expect an no dispute divorce to cost you about $1000-$2000,,, hugs

    Answer by kimigogo at 12:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I might know some people. What state are you in? If it's La contact me. Be blessed love.

    Answer by jenkinswife2011 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011