Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have to have a license or certification to sell baked goods or fruit baskets?

My friends have been asking me to make them cakes and to market cakes and stuff at their jobs and all. I am still learning, but to be honest it would be interesting to do.

I also plan to learn how to make my own "edible arrangements".

So, if.... one day way in the future.... I actually DO go forth with this project and wanted to market it as a small out of the home business.... do I have to be certified or licensed or anything of that nature?

Who do I contact to ask such questions?

Thanks ladies!


Asked by Memigen at 11:41 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

Level 27 (30,799 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • It varies by county and state. Having a home food business is generally pretty hard. If you have animals, a big no no.
    If you try to go around the law, I guarantee that within 2 days of opening, your competition will call the health department. I started a legit wholesale bakery and was told by the Health Department that they got 4 calls in the first week.

    You might look into local business incubators or commercial kitchens. They are surprisingly cheap and insurance only has to cover your product and not the facility.

    Good luc

    Answer by adnilm at 12:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • start at the local town hall or city office they should be able to answer all your question pertaining to business

    Answer by cara124 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I'd check with your local health dept

    Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I am really not sure but good luck!

    Answer by KTMOM at 12:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • Check with your local health department

    Answer by alliesmom112 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011