Step-daughter spending the night for the first time.....

surprisedMy step-daughter Mazzy (8) is such a sweet little girl but I've only met her a handful of times before...her mother is not crazy about the fact that me and Rich got married and has been causing him problems ever since....not letting him see her, calling him all out of his name because she wants more child support (he pays $800 a month) then of course when she found out I was pregnant she kicked it into high gear talking about if he wants to see his daughter then he better make a new one with me cause he'll never see Mazzy again....I actually read the text she said this in....I have no idea why she is so bitter, their relationship ended 8 years ago.......

Anyways to make a long story short I guess she finally got the stick out of her ass because she agreed to let Mazzy spend the night with us this weekend...now while I am over the moon for Rich, I'm a little nervous...Richie works all night and on the weekends since he doesnt have to work at his day job he sleeps all day so......how should I entertain my 8 yr old stepdaughter when I know almost nothing about her? lol I'm very nervous.....I don't want to screw up...any suggestions (preferably suggestions of activities that are free lol) would be appreciated...thanx mamas!!!!

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Go to walmart and down the craft aisle and pick up something you can do together. They have bird houses (including the paint), pottery, beads for bracelets, sand art etc. I would pick up one or two of those. Then take her to the movie rental place and have her choose a movie you can watch together when dad wakes up. You can also take her to lunch just the two of you and get to know her.

Answer by gemgem at 12:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Parks and picnics are great for any kid and it keeps the noise down so dad can sleep
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Ask HER what she likes to do. Play board games? Tackle her in a game of wii? Go to the park? 8 hmm? Is she still into cartoons? Maybe show her some of the older ones (library loans movies). Make cookies or cupcakes. Are you currently preg? Talk about if she would like a brother or sister....what would she name it? At first you need to find HER ground and go from there....if she wants to do nothing but sit on the couch; let her but try to get her moving by asking "do you want to help me......."

Good luck. You just lead to a question fro me though.......
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Oh gosh take her somewhere special,, I know you don't know her very well, so i would wait to see what she likes to do, and go from there! I also would get COURT mandated visitation,, I bet your going to have a great time,, if she is lonely for her mother or anything, be sure to let her call home,, but I bet she will love you and the adventure!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Well just this once he needs to suck it up and not sleep all day. The mom was stupid for having her spend the night for the first time knowing dad wouldn't be there for her. The little girl does want a sitter. She wants her dad. I don't think there is anything you can do to make things right on this visit. Just do what you can or ask her what she'd like to do. Maybe a movie would help. That should take a few hours in the dark. This is just wrong in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• By the way as for the whole baby mama issue. Honey just pray and leave her up to Jesus. Don't let her stress you out 9 times out of 10 she wants what you want but knows she can't have it. As for her not letting your husband see his child take her to court or send your lawyer to talk to her because legally she can't do that. It's his child too and he's paying child support. So enjoy YOUR husband in YOUR home with Your family that she wants. It's a shame she's like that everything needs to be in the best interest of the kids and especially your stepdaughter. the mom should know this and how hard it could be for a child having to go to separate homes. Be blessed and continue to pray love.
    jenkinswife2011

Answer by jenkinswife2011 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• hey lucky me again...sorry I like GemGems idea of making 2 of some craft. Let her take hers home to mom as a early mothers day gift.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 12:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Do a girls night. Whatever color is her favorite set up the living room/family room in that color. (if you don't know her favorite color try pink)take her to go rent a few movies of her choice, order pizza, wings and drinks. make it a little party for you and her. get some kid friendly music have singing contest even if you can't sing. Go to the mall with each other the park skating. Places like those. Hope this helps love. Be blessed.
    jenkinswife2011

Answer by jenkinswife2011 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Crafts are a great idea for that age! My daughter is 9 and loves making bracelets out of beads or string, and last summer she enjoyed the decorate your own flip flops kit. She also likes decorating cupcakes/cookies with different colors of icing, sprinkles, gels, etc.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yeah @Anon....I'm not crazy about it either (especially since Mazzy is on Spring Break and could EASILY spend the night during the week during one of his nights off) but I know that having her here (no matter for how long) is super important to him
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011