How do you get your hubby to pick up after himself?

I'm a stay at home mom so of course I do most of the cleaning. Which is fine b/c I realize that my husband works hard. But, for example, just cleaned the bathroom. He will shave, leave his whiskers everywhere. To me-that is just rude. Another example, he will eat candy, and leave the wrapper in the dish or if it falls of the floor leave it. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Leaves his dirty clothes on his side of the bed, even though there is a hamper in our room, or he could take them off b4 he comes to bed. Walks across freshly vaccumed & shampooed carpet with muddy shoes ect..it's getting real old. I bitch all the time and it doesn't work, he just says yea yea sorry. Then a minute later doing the same shit! It's affecting our marriage b/c I'm starting to resent him b/c of his lack of respect for me and what I do around the house!! UGH!! HELP! Lol

Ambie0526

Asked by Ambie0526 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• i gave up trying
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• LOL!! I don't think they ever learn you just have to keep reminding them over and over and over again :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I bitch at him but that didnt work so I just started to pick up after him like he was a child.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have the exact same problem (Is your husbands name Richie????? LOL) anyways I just gave up.....to tell you the truth...it just keeps it peaceful that way....sorry mama...wish I could be of more help
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I refused to wash the clothes that were not in the basket. MISSING CLOTHES? Wow don't know how they got UNDER the bed! :)

My dh works construction - he is good about taking his shoes off but inevitably EVERY morning after he has the boots on he remembers he forgot something and walks across the floor leaving CHUNKS of dirt that I step on later in the morning. I started sweeping them up and putting them IN his shoes!
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 12:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• with the dirty laundry - after asking him several times to make it to the basket and him failing, i started leaving it there. whatever wasn't in the hamper on laundry day, DIDN'T get washed and it was just tough shit. when he noticed a heaping pile of dirty clothes on the floor and had nothing to wear, that was enough incentive for him to start making the "effort" to walk an extra 2 feet to the hamper. same thing with him leaving dirty dishes or trash places, it stays there. good thing he has a mancave that he leaves his dirty crap in, so i dont have to explain to houseguests why we're slobs. call me a bitch but im not his mother, im his wife and i will not clean up AFTER him. im more than happy to cook his meals and do his laundry/dishes, however im not a maid. my 4 year old daughter puts her own clothes in the hamper and brings her dishes to the sink, therefore a grown man is just as capable.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I say hey pick up your crap! I have told him if he thinks the kids will listen to us, obey house rules and all of that he has to do it too. I will call him out in front of the kids for not picking up after himself, just as I will call out the kids.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i would try talking to him without sounding bitchy, for instance at dinner in a calm way. start saying something like "you know what babe, i just feel unappreciated, i know you work hard, and that's why i am trying to support you in any way i can, but can you at least be a little more considerate of helping me maintain the house clean? All i am asking is to throw your trash away, and well try to clean after yourself" something like that but in a calm, passive tone. If that doesn't work. Then i agree with everyone else, just have to not let it bother you and clean up after him! :/
    ms.grumppy

Answer by ms.grumppy at 12:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I haven't figured it out 100% just yet - talking, reasoning, bitching, etc. has no effect - BUT I do not wash his clothes (since he can't grasp the concept of a hamper for dirty clothes), and I am more than happy to pick up his stuff (and throw it out in the trash). I have been known to lay his dirty dishes on his pillow too and to throw away important papers because he believes they belong in the fruit bowl, for some odd reason.
    Anonymous

• I really think that his mother picked up after him and now its my job to do so! I have bitched and complained, ask him to just clean up after himself and he said he forgets or doesnt think about it. He has a snack in the bedroom and leaves a plate on the nightstand. I swear I don't know how he managed living on his own!
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 12:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011