Going through a divorce-he has a lawyer and I plan to get my own. what kinna of questions should I ask? kids?

I have not been a divorce with kids. He has a lawyer and someone to told me to get my own for my opinitions. What questions to ask? kids? how long for a divorce? Anything to ask I can not think about?

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 12:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Google it, I found some really great questions about fees and costs up front that kinda stuff.. google really is the best answer here for you.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The lawyer will ask you questions to get an idea of how much to charge you. Id let him/her know if you want custody. Do you want child support. Do you want joint, shared or sole custody? Do you want a stipulation of no over night visits of the opposite sex unless related by marriage or blood? Do you want any property you got during the marriage? What about savings? You need to be able to ask the lawyer about all of this and their opinion, and go in knowing basically what ex will and wont agree to. All this comes into play for the lawyer and cost.

Answer by gemgem at 12:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• agreed with gemgem
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• gemgem has given you a great answer so I won;t repeat what she said! Just make a list of all the things important to you. Custody, Health Insurance. Assets, Bank Accounts, Vehicles..... Try to get a temporary Court Order established as soon as you can. This was something that helped me. I got primary custody and he had a visitation schedule and temporary support order.
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 12:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Oh and one more thing. Dirt. You need any and all dirt on your ex if you think he will cause a problem. Dont worry about how itll make you look either. When you go to court in front of a judge its a Bash Fest. Anything you ever did, even just forgetting to do dishes lol seems to come into play. My ex said I was a lesbian because I had a female nanny and accused me of having an affair with my best friend as well. I kept thinking "You wish", but he actually brought it before a judge lol. A judge who laughed at him, but it happened. Just remember if you really want something you need to be prepared to fight for it. Let the little things go.

Answer by gemgem at 12:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yikes good luck
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 4:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011