Good idea or not?

For Christmas my SS is getting what I would consider a "lot" of stuff (he is having the big Christmas with us, we have custody)... but a lot of it is stuff he would get anyway (clothing - hoodies, sweatshirts, undies). I think this gives him a lot to open, but since it's stuff he would get anyway, it's not really overdoing it. Bad idea or good idea? (He's still getting toys and stuff.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't see anything wrong with that. My son's birthday is in the summer, so lots of his birthday presents are clothes and things. It just gives them more fun things to open, but once he sees the clothes you might get a reproachful look (especially with the undies).
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:46 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• We do the same thing. SS gets spoiled these last few months. His birthday is late November and he has 3 or 4 birthdays and Christmases too. My inlaws and my parents do not get along, so we do two different birthdays and Christmases, plus we have a Christmas at home just us, then he has a Christmas and a birthday with his mom. He usually gets one or two things at mom's house for both. The grandparents get him 1-2 each for each celebration, the aunts do 1 for birthday and 2 for Christmas. We did 4 gifts for birthday and have about 5 for Christmas so far plus two Santa gifts and a stocking.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:56 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Umm sounds about like what we have done for our daughter too. She gets things she needs but may not want and TOYS! ITS Christmas after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maddiesmommy123

Answer by Maddiesmommy123 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Mine get pretty much the same as what you're doing, when they open something and it's clothing, they just quickly toss it aside and go for another package! Lol, sometimes they don't even finish opening the package once they see it's not a toy!

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• At Christmas I do clothes and nontoy items from me and toys and fun stuff from Santa. I don't know where it came from, but that's what works for me. My son's father and I are divorced and Santa only makes one stop at whichever house he's at. They originally wanted to have Santa "visit" both houses, but I think that's ridiculous! (don't know if that could possibly be an issue) But, that is how I handle what my son gets. (Don't know if you do the Santa thing)
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• this is way late, but anyway.... unless it's some really expensive clothing item, they don't get clothes as gifts from us. we buy those for them because we're their parents and they need them. x-mas it toys & fun!
    imamom

Answer by imamom at 9:19 PM on Dec. 27, 2008