For Teens & Tweens - what's your "bedtime" ritual with them?

Still, to this day, I have to have a ritual with my kids, otherwise all hell will break loose when it comes to bedtime. Showers and such are taken care of by 8:00 pm, they get 1/2 hour to vent, visit, show off, show and tell, etc. I then walk them to their rooms, kiss them on the forehead, get clothes ready for tomorrow & we're done. By 8:45, we're usually done, and they're in bed fully, and by 10 - the whole house is shut down.

What do you do?

wennyvw

Asked by wennyvw at 12:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• The house shuts down by 8:30pm. I dont care how old they are lol. I am done for the day. Kitchen light off, everyone in their rooms, and they better be asleep when I check on them later.
    Mine come home from school, snack, homework, if we have time they watch some TV, play on the comp or game system, then depending on if we have practice we will eat first before practice, if no practice the little ones take a shower while I cook dinner. Then the teens. We all eat dinner. If practice we eat dinner, go to practice, then baths. After that 30 minutes of reading for everyone. Check homework one last time. By then its around 8pm or so and they have 30 minutes of free time with me, or to themselves.

Answer by gemgem at 12:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Nothing at all. It's different every night. Last night, he was asleep by 7:30 and slept until I woke him up for school. Tonight he will probably be up until 10. We do try to shut it down by 10 though. he is 15.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I remind him to shower, tell him I love him and he goes to bed...when HE is tired. Usually he is asleep by 10-1030. It also depends on what is going on for that night. There would be NO way he would voluntarily go to bed at 830. He is 14 yrs old and his activities don't also end until after 9. His baseball games sometimes last until 930 or later.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My 10 & 12 yo are in bed by 9:00. The 10yo has lights out right away and the 12yo has until 10:00, then lights out.
    My 16 & 18 yo go to bed whenever they choose. The 18yo is usually in bed by 9:30 and the 16yo stays up the latest, usually 10:30.

Once I make sure the 10 &12 yo are in bed, I shower and go to bed too. The teens are old enough to "tuck" themselves in (LOL)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have to agree that the teens are old enough to not have an 8:30 bedtime, but man - getting them up in the morning is a bear if they don't. Weekends is so completely different.... bedtime is whenever. They do have Kung Fu twice a week which makes this a bit later in the evenings....I guess it just depends on how much sleep they require over what they want!
    wennyvw

Comment by wennyvw (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My 9, 11, and 13 yo's go to bed at 8:30. At that time, pjs are on, teeth are brushed, etc. I read to my 9 and 11 yo's 2 chapters of whatever book we are reading. My 13 yo goes straight to bed, his choice. After reading, we spend 10 minutes or so talking about whatever and then at 9 they lay down in their beds and I tuck them in - the 9 yo first and then the 11 yo.

Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• During ball season we are good if we get home by 9 we leave the house 20 mins after they get off from school sometimes they walk in drop bookbags change to uniforms we eat in the car homework on bleachers. So bedtime is usually 10 - 1030 on a good nite weekends they usually crash by 9 pm but the kids know shower dinner homework bed I am in bed at 1030 they need me only at that time if they are sick we say goodnites before i crash my day starts at 430 every morning .
    myzero

Answer by myzero at 2:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• All I do is tell them to go to bed, just like I have always done. At 7pm they have to come inside and take a shower if they need it and then do their reading. At like 7:45 I warn them that it's almost time for bed and to get their pajamas on and brush their teeth and at 8pm they come give me hugs and then go get in bed. I don't do anything else. I only go check on them if I hear them talking. I've never tucked them in or anything like that. The older kids are 8, 9 and almost 11.
    Bedtime is 8pm on school nights for all the kids (last year it was 7pm). They are usually asleep by 8:30-9pm. On weekends, breaks and in the summer they don't even come in until 9pm sometimes and then they get ready for bed right away and are usually asleep by 10pm.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My youngest is 2 and my oldest is 16, so by 7 or 7:30 our house settles down. I put down my 2 year old around that time, my 4 year old shortly after, and so on. My 14 and 16 year olds have to be showered and in bed by 10, unless they have a lot of homework. Then I allow them to stay up and finish it if they're actually working. My 12 year old goes to bed between 9 and 9:30. From 6-10 is non stop ritual madness at our house. They usually don't put up a fuss, but gettings that many kids fed, bathed, and in bed by their times isn't always easy.
    KileighR

Answer by KileighR at 3:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2011