Punishment for lying

What kind of punishments do you use (or think are best) for when you catch a kid lying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine dont really lie. but when they do i would say punish them for the day. Like no cartoons for the day.
    jennjj11

Answer by jennjj11 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have a chat with my son about the importance of honesty about once or twice a year. I let him know that I need to be able to trust him as do other people. I explain that if he were to lie to me I would have no way to know whether or not to believe him for example what if he told me someone did something mean to him or hurt him.
    He lied to me once, (and confessed right away)...for several days after he would tell me things and I asked how I could know he wasn't telling a lie again. He got the message, and has not done it since.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• When asked 'what happened' if something gets broken or anything goes wrong, if he is honest about it, we give him a really light punishment. Accidents happen. If he tries to lie to us, we take away a toy, and put him in time out and make him earn back the toy. I don't appreciate lying. Once he was mad at BM and said that her boyfriend hit him with the car door and then told him to "Shut the F*** up" Drama ensued and the boyfriend nearly got taken into jail and his mother almost lost her visitation rights, until he came clean. So that kind of showed him what kind of trouble lying can cause and he doesn't do it much except little things like how many pieces of candy he ate.
    Anonymous

• This is a funny story...my kids honest to God think that if they lie, lie bugs appear and lay eggs on their tongues that will eventually turn into a blister. They believe that only other parents can see them. If i suspect my 8 year old of lying, i'll say "let me see your tongue". he refuses to stick it out. my 4 year old however will stick it out and ask me to wipe the eggs off. My son believes it so badly that one time by fluke he got a canker sore on his tongue that he came to me to tell me about the lie he told me 3 days before about finishing his homework. The sore went away (because he told the truth) and he hasn't lied to me since.
    Amandakins

Answer by Amandakins at 6:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I ALWAYS give my daughter the chance to tell the truth! IF she does not, she gets something taken away or 15 minutes earlier to bed...depends on my mood, lol!
    Maddiesmommy123

Answer by Maddiesmommy123 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Amandakins omg! LOL! I have to remember that one for my youngest!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• When mine lie, they get the thing they cherish the most taken away............you guessed it! Loss of video gaming privileges!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Amandakins...that reminds me of my grandmother! When her son was young she asked him something and suspected that he wasn't telling the truth, she told him to hold out his hands so she could look at them. While he was staring at his palms to see what she was looking for she was watching his face for whether he was worried or just curious. Ha-ha! She used that until he was like 17 or 18!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2008