Breastfeeding Question.....probably for SAHM's

Okay so I bought a breast pump yesterday....damn thing cost me $89! lol....anyways I plan on breastfeeding exclusivly and since I'm SAHM I rarely if ever leave the house...and so far have NEVER left the house without my daughter (so I don't see that changing with my son lol)

So my question is this: How often do/did you actually USE your breast pump??? Hubby insisted I get it (if I would have let him buy all of Walmart and load it in the car he would have lol) but I don't really see the reason I'm going to need it if I'm always going to be here with him.

So yeah lol...How much use did you get from your pump?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I also don't see the need for it if your not away from the baby. But maybe he wants to be apart of the feedings?
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I can't see me using it at all. LOL If I'm home, why use a pump..baby is more efficient anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Honestly..my most successful breast feeding experience was (and still is) with my youngest who is 6 months old. For me, part of the reason I feel is because 95% of the time..I nursed directly from the breast. I just have a hand held pump for those occassional times. I think an electric breast pump is best for those that plan on going back to work ... you get the most production that way. For me...the electric breast pump does work VERY well...but with my 2nd...I ended up over producing and then feeling like I was married to the stupid thing, and it left me very uncomfortable and in the long run..I stopped after 3 months.So for me..being a stay at home mom with my last and just nursing him on demand is more than enough to keep my milk supply up. I toss the small hand held medela pump I have into the diaper bag for emergency uses when we are out.This is what works best for me.Congrats on baby btw :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I would just pump after the baby has eaten and freeze, does not sound like you will need a lot on hand but it is a good idea for emergencies & maybe dad want to share in the feeding. I would suggest maybe a days worth.
    I did find that my little one did not like it if it was too old, did not taste the same as what she was getting from the breast. Hope that makes sense.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• With my first 3 I hardly ever used a pump, I could count on my hands the number of times I used it with all 3 of them. It was a hand pump and a pain in the butt! With my 4th I got a hospital grade electric pump with dual connections and I did use that - all the time!

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• honestly, i had one with my 3rd daughter and didn't get much use out of it. it was easier to just put her on the boob. if i felt engorged and she wasn't hungry (which was rare) i would take a warm shower for relief.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I had so much milk when my daughter was a newborn, I fed her from me and STILL had to pump 3 times a day. It was great to store all of that milk. That way, if I needed to leave for a couple of hours, the hubby could feed her from a bottle.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have used mine maybe 12 times....over 6 years and three kids.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I rarely use mine, but I have about 100oz stored in the freezer in case I go out. And when I go out and get full because he misses a feeding, thats when I pupm. Pumped milk is always good for long drives, when you can't pull over every 2 hours to feed. :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• BEST breastpump for a SAHM is the Lansinoh manual or the Avent Isis manual they run around $35. ALL other manuals or pumps under $150 are CRAP and will end up hurting more than helping
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011