how many of you had epidurals who didnt plan to orginally?

so i reallly really dont want to have one and i we are taking classes to prepare not breathing classes just general childbirth classes. well she says the hosiptals that we're using has a 98% epidural rate... ugh just wodering who out there go thru with out them or maybe used other methods for pain... tell me your stories thanks

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was against an epidural my whole pregnancy. But when my water broke, the contractions started in right away and were pretty painful, IMO. We got in the car to head to the hospital, I looked at my husband and said, "I need a f*cking epidural." We got to the hospital and the only thing I'd say to the nurses was, "When can I get an epidural?" or "Where is my epidural?" As soon as I got one they said that I was the nicest person in the world. My SIL didn't want to have an epidural either. But considering her water broke Friday night and she had the baby on Sunday morning, the epidural gave her a chance to rest and get some much needed sleep.
    lebrbria

Answer by lebrbria at 5:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I got an epidural when the doctors started talking about a c-section.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 5:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I didn't want one with my first I was going to totally do it naturally, yeah I was going to be so awesome.........but contractions really f-ing hurt. I opted for the epidural because i didn't want to be out of it with narcotics. Went straight for the epidural the second time!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I didn't plan on one at all, I took all the breathing classes and I lasted pretty long without one, but then...I was put on pitocin (sp?) and that makes your contractions really long and really strong, so I couldn't even breath correctly, so after a few hours I got the epidural and I am very glad I did. I was able to rest and relax until it came time to push. I feel I was able to enjoy the whole process more because I wasn't in such crazy pain. You can always just tell them to have the epidural ready incase you want it. And see how long you can last, you may surprise yourself and be just fine without one. Good luck!
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I did! My water had broken nine hours earlier, just as I was going to bed after a very phsyical day. Since I'd had NO rest and could not relax with the water flowing out of me: I'd spend that entire nine hours trying to clench and hold it in (which I knew couldn't be done but instinctively was doing it anyway), and I'd only progressed two centimeters. My contractions had been two minutes apart that entire time, and finally I just gave in and said I needed to rest. Thank God I did, because I probably would have ended up with a c-section in the end. My son never dropped, so when I was finally fully dilated, I had to push to get him down, then push to get him out.

I'm going to try to go without next time, though!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:06 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I did not want one and did not get one (3 times), but man did that nurse try her hardest to get me to change my mind with my last one. I was in alot of pain so if I wasn't as confident in my decision I may have waivered. Hopefuly, the nurses there aren't as persistent but something to be prepared for.
    Anonymous

• i wasnt going to get one til me contractions got VERY BAD then i was all for it lol.. trust me to have a baby without one is just CRAZY!!! mine wore off just before i had to push it was the WORST pai i have ever fr=elt or even heard of...
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 10:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2008