How do we tell our son he's going to have a sibling?

We plan to start trying for another baby in May. Our son will be 4 months. We may start describing that he'll have a brother/sister after we know the gender or when my belly is big enough for him to "get" that the baby's in there. He'll be very young, though, so we assume he won't understand at all.

lizmartinez

Asked by lizmartinez at 1:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I got pregnant when my ds was 4 months! I just kept telling him there is a baby in mommys tummy! Really dont know if he understood or not but he welcomed the baby! It was great having them so close together the hardest part was being pregnant and taking care ofa baby!
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You're seriously going to try and explain that to a 4 month old?
    Anonymous

• Lmao this is the funniest thing ive heard in awhile...seems almost fake.
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Not explaining it right when I'm pregnant. As it gets closer to the new baby actually being here. He'll be over a year. We don't want to just bring a baby home and have him completely confused. Read a little better, people. No need to be rude. I'm not asking how to explain to a baby, obviously.
    lizmartinez

Comment by lizmartinez (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Thank you for a real answer, Patience909!! I just want to make sure he isn't upset or feels replaced if he doesn't understand. I already anticipate it being more difficult having two young kids, but at least I'm a SAHM so I can allocate hidden time when I need to :p I really want them close together, also. Thanks again for the answer!!
    lizmartinez

Comment by lizmartinez (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My ds was 18 months when we had our dd. We got him a book about being a big brother ( one of those thick ones that can withstand an 18 month old ) we talked to him about how he was going to have a little brother or sister ( we didn't find out) and pretty much left it at that. He had no idea, and really even after we had our dd he didnt get it. Only thing he understood was that there was someone else taking up some of mommy and daddys time. He was scared after we had her, they brought him in and I was still attached to the ivs, he kept crying saying"mommy ouchie"
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011