Weird redness in the same spot...*Added*

For almost as long as I can remember my son (2 1/2) has had a spot on his left thigh that only turns red when it's exposed to warmth, like in the bath. It is the same spot every time. It has gotten a little bigger as he has grown, but it is the same shape...nearly 2 inches square. It looks like his leg had been slapped, tho it wasn't. It doesn't seem to bother him and it goes away when it is not in the warm water. Has anyone ever seen this or heard of this before?   ADDED*Could this be a long term reaction to a vaccination that he received and I missed it?

melissa920

Asked by melissa920 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It probably is a birthmark, sometimes called strawberry birthmarks, you should talk to your doctor,, in rare cases they can become bigger or be precanerous...not usually but your doctor needs to know about it!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• could it be a birth mark? i have sonething similiar on my foot, its almost skin color until I get in warm/hot water or if its a hot day outside..it will turn dark pink/red
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I suppose it could be some sort of birth mark....there is nothing there, no indication of anything until it gets warm. I will have to mention it to the dr next time we go in. It never seemed like that big of deal to mention it. Thanks ladies!
    melissa920

Comment by melissa920 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• saw you added to your question, and no this probably in no way is related to vaccine, my nephew has what your are describing,, I can't remember the exact name of the type of birthmark,, but they are called strawberry,, his started out at age 1 and came to the surface at about age 3.. not all of them do though, but mention it to your doc,,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Kimigogo.....I have seen some strawberry birthmarks...but none that only appeared after being warm, are you sure?
    melissa920

Comment by melissa920 (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If you are ever worried about something about this, talk to your DOCTOR. They are the only ones who can tell you what it is.
    Madalynnsmom238

Answer by Madalynnsmom238 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I am not worried...more curious. if i was worried i would be at the dr's. thanks tho!
    melissa920

Comment by melissa920 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011