Why won't it go away?!

Since January we have been battling a yeast infection off and on with my almost 2 yr old. He had it for about a month in the beginning. We were prescribed Poop Goop and it did nothing. We ended up finding some natural remedies, and it cleared it up for a couple weeks. Now it will be gone for a few weeks, flare back up for a week and the cycle keeps going. I don't understand what is going on! We don't use wipes anymore (wash clothes and all natural soap). He gets regular baths. We change his diaper every 2 hrs, unless he needs it sooner.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice?

Sarahb21

Asked by Sarahb21 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would try feeding him yogurt daily..maybe it could helps.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Sounds like you need to go back to the Doctor, possibly for an oral medication. Your pharmacist might also be a good resource!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• some people are more prone to them than others- especially once you have had an infection. What were your natural remedies? I would talk to your doc/pharmacist about probiotics on a daily basis.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 1:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree, going to the dr. for oral medication. Also, when you put medication on it, you should coat it with aquaphor to help keep it in place, that is what we had to do with my DD when she got one. We were actually told by her pediatrican to use lotramin (like foot cream) for it, but then when we put the diaper on, it would wash off (or if she peed it would) so we put the lotramin, then the aquaphor over top and after about a week it was gone and didnt come back.

Good luck, that has to be tough on the little guy.
    Anonymous

• He needs medicated diaper cream. It can be prescribed by the doctor and is specific for treating yeast infections. My oldest son had that when he was a baby. Nothing worked until we had the medicated cream.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I had two boys and constantly put up w/rashes, just keep the unscented corn starch powder on him, and let him go in the buff. Maybe don't put him in tub cuz that could make it spread. (sponge bathe instead, using a separate cloth for bottom) Yeast thrives on heat. There are supplements for yeast infection for adults. Check to see if they make some for babies. Baby yogurt everyday would help if they make it. Give hime less juice, sweets and sugary drinks cuz that makes it worse and more nursery water. Make sure no one is passing this to him. He may be allergic to wipes. Use hypoallergenic wipes, unscented. I even rubbed some of my own yeast infection cream on my boys bottom and it cleared it up. Don't let him go in wet swim suit either, it's getting close to summer. Don't use cloth diapers. Hope all this helps.
    shanabanana07

Answer by shanabanana07 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i agree, cornstarch did the trick with my dd... no baths, just wiping down or a shower... can you have "diaper free" time? that helps too... you can eat yogurt and put plain right on the rash...
    also check his diet, are there things that he is eating that could be "causing" a flair up? i know my dd couldn't do any fructose... the poop that she produced caused a diaper rash, and then turned into a yeast infection... we cut the fructose down (to as little as possible) and she didn't have one again... we slowly increased until we noticed an issue... and stuck with a level just under that...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice ladies. The Dr told us to give him oatmeal baths, so we've been doing that, but maybe we will stop. They will clear up for a few weeks, then they end up coming back. After we tried a months worth of prescription we used California Baby diaper area wash, and california baby diaper rash cream. It cleared it up within a few days. It always clears up, I just don't want it to come back!
    Sarahb21

Comment by Sarahb21 (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• If you are breastfeeding add pro-biotics to your diet too. Also apply breastmilk to rash.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 3:15 AM on May. 24, 2011

• it may even be the brand of diapers thats starting the irritation...try letting him airdry once or 2 a day for an hr or so
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 9:18 PM on May. 28, 2011