What age is appropriate to leave children home by themselves?

I know it all depends on maturity and many other factors, but around what age do you think it is okay to let your children stay home alone if you are just going down the road for a few minutes?

soccer.mom

Asked by soccer.mom at 1:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Down the road for a few minutes? I'd say probably 8 as long as there were no younger kids in the house. I'd say 9-10 for a slightly longer amount of time if you're still not far away, 12 to be alone longer/farther. But I agree it depends on the maturity/circumstances as well.
    Anonymous

• My kids aren't there yet, but I'm going to guess that I will be able to do that with MY kids when they are about 12.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 1:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• 11-13 for a short less than 30 min trip to the corner store
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• depends on the maturity of the child. I am thinking around 12 is the average but I have nothing to base that on.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 1:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Under an hour - 10. A few hours 12-13.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I say 4th or 5th grade. When I was in 4th and 5th grade, my younger brother and I were left home alone for about an hour because my stepdad worked until 4:30 and my mom worked until 6. We survived. But we also lived in a very small town and my mom worked a half a block away.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The legal age is 10 or 11 depending on what state. But I wouldn't leave mine until 12 or 13.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 1:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Our son, he's 14 almost 15 now, but we started letting him stay at home alone an hour at a time when he was 11, then it progressed to 2 hours at 12, now he's fine for an all day thing, or an evening out. We also pay him to babysit his 7, and 8 yr old little brothers when we have a date night. That lasts about 3-4 hours at the most.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think state law here says 12 years. My kids aren't anywhere near there yet, but I would assume this is a good age if this is what the law says. I would also assume that some 13 year olds may not be ready for it yet bc every child is different.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I leave my 10 year old (fifth grader) on his own for up to an hour. I won't leave him with the 6 year old, though. He knows where I am, how to get a hold of me and I've quizzed him on what to do given certain emergencies. Our state (OH) doesn't have a set age.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011