Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Now what.... we "frauded" unemployment?

Last year my husband had a good job... he lost it ( his was working in a law office, and they lost alot of clients so most of the people working there lost their job) .... he got unemployment for a month and found another job in which he was making almost a dollar more... well after a month they got rid of a ton of people including my husband... he got unemployment again for 2 months ( and has now been at his job that he has now) .... that was a hard time and those times were the only times he has ever been without a job since he was 18 ...

Well the second time he got unemployment, he got payed a little more than before, but we didnt think anything of it because he was making more at the second job... ( and we assumed it just went off of the last job) ... It wasnt like a ton of money, just enough to barely cover the bills....

THEn we get a "notice" that he has "frauded" unemployment.... we couldnt figure out what they meant so he called and they said that they were paying to much for his unemployment and he didnt say anything ... well we didnt know we wasnt suppose to get that much, that much was what we were told we were going to get - we didnt have any reason to think we were suppose to call and make sure they were giving us the right amount...

He had to write a letter "explainging himself" ... and then he would have to go to like a hearing over this.... we contacted them several times about when to find out when he / we were suppose to go...we heard nothing, and now today we get a letter saying that he would be unable to get unemployment again due to him frauding them.

I mean he does have a good job now... hopefully he gets to keep it ..... but now it just makes me worried 1. in case he ever does lose his job again and 2. He has always been been a hard working and honest and now this is something that could basically "follow him" ... I mean is thise like a public record type thing ?

We dont even know what else to do to set it straight ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (13)
  • They didn't ask you to pay the money back?

    Answer by UpSheRises at 1:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I'd keep calling the unemployment office until I talked to someone about it. I wouldn't just let it go, you don't want that on his record anywhere.

    Answer by meooma at 2:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I think you should talk to an attorney. Especially since he has experience in law firms, he could probably get a free consultation.

    Answer by SleepyCupcake at 2:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • Oh I forgot to add... when he started unemployment the second time... we got payed once and then they stopped giving it to him saying they had to take what eh was going to be getting, and put that toward what he "took" ...

    AT first they said he couldnt get unemployment again until it was payed back ( basicallly like if he had to get unemployment again, he wouldnt actually get paid but they would take the money he should get it and put it back into unemployment) ... but then they said he just cant get it at all... event hough the 'extra" we got is already given back...

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • Did he file for benefits during a week in which he was working? Do be persistent and find out exactly why he his case was designated fraudulent. In Texas a "fraud" designation would stay on his record and would prevent receiving benefits in future.

    Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • Hey Anon. I would hire a lawyer to get into it. It isn't your fault that it went wrong. This will be on your permanent record, and it will hinder you if you ever get into a bad spot again. With the economy right now he could lose his job tomorrow. I can get you in touch with top ranking lawyers and it would hardly cost you what anything around you would be. Send me a message privately and we can talk more.

    Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • You should consult an attorney about this and at least find out what your options are, the situation seems fishy to me. I hope you can get this clarified, with positive results for your family.

    Answer by agentwanda at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • I don't know what state you're in, but there will be specialists about this type of thing. It may just be hard to get to the right person. My mother, for example, was an expert in determinations, ie who was allowed to get it and who was not (because they were fired for doing bad stuff). But you would have had to ask for a manager, and then let them know the issue and see if there is someone who can explain it to you.

    It sounds like you're having trouble finding someone who can explain it to you. If you have an office where you can go in in person, I'd recommend it. If you don't have that ability (ie California these days), I'd call for a manager and see if maybe they have the wrong contact info or something, because you were never told about your hearing, and go from there. If you can't find someone to help you, you might do well explaining yourself via a certified letter, send it and you have a record you tried

    Good luck!

    Answer by Tracys2 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • These types of things are dependent on the state. You need to be persistent. If you are having a lot of trouble, contact your state rep's office for help as well.

    Answer by lovinangels at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • He needs to talk to someone in person instead of writing letters. It’s obvious a mistake on their part on the amount he should have been getting. You need to go to the nearest Social Security Office to straight this out. This way it you don’t have to be worrying about it, if he gets laid off again and not have benefits.

    Answer by musicmom08 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.