My 4 month old twin babies wake up every 1.5-2 hours all night long. How do I get them to sleep longer?

I have 4 month old twin boys that I sleep with in a co-sleeper. They wake up ever 1.5-2 hours to nurse all night long. The worst part is they don't wake up on same schedule. My nights are killing me! I have read different sleep solution books, but can't do cry it out method. One book recommended stretching their feedings out to every 4 hours during the day, but I am lucky if I can get them to stretch to 3 hours with distraction. What can I do to stretch out their feeding schedule at night. I was considering trying formula.

sunshinesunrise

Asked by sunshinesunrise at 1:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is tough. You could try formula at night. At least then, your hubby could help. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Are they waking each other up? Or are they like my boys (not twins, but a year apart) and one would wake up and as soon as he passed out the other one would wake up? Are they eating more at night too? Maybe try feeding them more frequently during the day for a few days and see if that helps. If they are waking each other up maybe try separating them at night, sleeping in separate rooms. Maybe try pumping (or formula if you're ok with it) so someone else can help you out at night. Good luck and just remember this isn't forever soon they will be sleeping peacefully through the night :)
    amygoetsch

Answer by amygoetsch at 2:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Maybe you should pump instead of breastfeeding every time so at night your hubby or someone can help or just use formula at night. You can burn out really fast if you keep doing this every night. Maybe you don't have enough milk so they are hungry faster especially boys. My son is 4 and half months and he can eat 6oz without break, and I feel like he wants more afterward. Soemthing is bothering them if they keep waking up every 2 hours, either hungry, or something else.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think its because breast milk is digested faster they get hungry faster, also if they breast feed and fall asleep it might be that they are not getting enough...so again they get hungry faster...some babies breast feed for comfort... My DS used to do the same thing, but she had reflux so her Pediatrician recommend that I thicken her formula or give her Enfamil AR which is thicken with RS so it also kept her full longer and she slept longer....
    I would say at least add a few feeds that's formula.
    johnsonbaby03

Answer by johnsonbaby03 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If they're waking up to feed its because they need more to eat.. You should consider pumping/formula at night and adding cereal to the bottle to help them sleep longer.. IDK if I have it anymore Or if you can find it, there is an alternative formula recipe you can make at home, it's made with goats milk and is closer to breast milk than any formula on the market.. My daughter couldnt tolerate formulas/cows milk and I couldnt breast feed, after we switched to the goats milk formula by the time she was 2 months she slept 6 hours straight.. and yes its safe, my daughter got pneumonia when she was 3 weeks old and was in the hospital, they discontinued her formula and sent it to the FDA to be analyzed for its safety.. They did make us change a couple of things but said it was the closest thing to breast milk they'd ever seen..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 3:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Hi sometimes they wake each other, but most of the time it is a predictable schedule. They try to eat every 2 hours during day too. I nurse them till they pull off which is about half hour. At night they nurse for shorter periods accept the 3:00 feeding which is long and vigorous.. I can't tell if they are really hungry each feeding or using me as a pacifier. I don't want to pump at night because that is worse than nursing. At least when I nurse I can stay in bed and doze while nursing. I might try suggestion of formula at the 11:00 feeding and see if they get a good stretch on that one. Should I let them cry it out if it is not at the 3 hour mark?
    sunshinesunrise

Comment by sunshinesunrise (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• never let a baby just cry... thats just wrong..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 7:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011