Weight gain?

I have been more active that usual the past 3 weeks, but I am actually gaining weight. And my diet is the same as it was before I picked up the extra activity. My question is, does the body gain muscle more easily or faster than it does fat? I feel a lot stronger, but I still have the same amount of fat.

3Beautiful_Bugs

Asked by 3Beautiful_Bugs at 2:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Muscle weighs 7x more than fat does. It's more compact. So (especially if you only have 10 lbs or somesuch to lose), you will gain muscle weight faster than you lose fat. If you're only marginally "overweight", it's easier to track fitness through how your body looks than how much it weighs.

Really fat people burn fat faster than people who aren't really overweight, generally.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i agree with the above BUT also you shouldnt be gaining a lot of weight even if your gaining muscle. your weight should show that your fat is melting off of you. Watch your sodiium intake. you could be holding in water
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• This is what I learned recently. If you gain weight after recently starting to exercise, its not because you're gaining muscle faster than you're losing fat, it's because your muscles are retaining more water to help keep up with the new activity. After a few weeks it should level out a bit. It takes awhile for you to start building muscle to start seeing a difference. You'll know you're gaining muscle by the fact that you're losing pant sizes but not pounds. Since my marathon training started, I haven't lost 1 pound but have gone down 2 pant sizes.
    Here's an article that explains it better than I do! http://www.columbussports.com/content/writers/dan_falkenberg/ive-started-working-out-why-am-i-still-gaining-weight~print.shtml
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 5:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• thank you all for your help.
    3Beautiful_Bugs

Comment by 3Beautiful_Bugs (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2011