Is child support the easy way to live for some single moms?

This young mom I know has 4 kids, she had her 1st at 14. I should have gone her route.... her child support between all 4 kids gets her nails done, massages, nice things, kids look good and she travels out of state every other month just because " she needs a break"
on the other hand she doesn't have to use her child support for food or medical since that is given to her by the state and her rent is Section 8.

I must have screwed up, I worked for my money and even when I was a single mom I could have lived off the state but why? Working and paying my own way and paying for my own kids needs and food gave me self esteem and a sense of doing good as an American tax payer. And my child support was never very much, I guess I should have had babies by a guy with a fantastic paying job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• ARen't we discussing welfare? Section 8.....all the government support such as WIC? I thought the OP meant welfare.

Now, if you have an EX and he doesn't pay child support, he can be arrested,right? ANd I believe women should get child support from their Ex....why not? He helped create the child and he should be responsibe for helping financially. But a Mom shouldnot be using the child support money that belongs to her children for getting her nails done! Or any other selfish reason. It should go for her child's care only. If she needs money for herself, she needs an attorney and she should ask for Alimony. AND she needs a job.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I WAS a single mom and I got child support as well as working for my money just to support my son and pay our bills. I never relied on the state to pay my bills, but if thatswhat it took I would have done it. You do what you gotta do for your kids. Not all single moms are like what you posted. I think you have some kind of unfounded resentment, be grateful you don't have to rely on the state and have someone to help you.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You're full of shit, that's why you posted Anon.

Parents who recieve child support deserve it. End of conversation.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'm pretty offended about the title. "Is child support the easy way to live..." I just can't see what's easy about being a single mom. Sometimes, it downright sucks. If she can afford to have her nails done, good on her. If that's the way you want to go, get a divorce & try it.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 2:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Wow. Maybe you should try being a single mom for a bit.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 2:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I know some women like that as well, but I like to think that it is the exception, and not the rule. Most single moms I know who get child support don't get enough JUST to cover half of raising their kid.
    Anonymous

• Bitter, party of one.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I see the point to your post. If you see a mom with kids, living on government assistance but then uses the child support for her own wants it pisses you off. I agree that some women do that and a lot don't. I'm sorry if you live on government assistance, you shouldn't get your nails and hair done, go on vacation, or anything like that. I can't get my hair done, go on vacations, etc. so why should my tax dollars pay for someone else to. For single mom's making ends meet with child support is sometimes difficult. I think the key words are "making ends meet" not sitting on your ass letting the daddy's of your babies and the government keep you up. Let's not forget the daddy's raising their children with the help of measly amounts of child support too.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 2:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• when you add up 9 months of pregnancy for all 4 kids labor, colds and all the everyday In's and outs just being a mom, and a single mommy on top of that I think in my opinion she deserves every penny she gets from child support. The number of fathers does not determine how hard it is to be a mom, I was a single mom of 2 for almost 10 years and now I have my hubby there are moments where I still feel like a single mom, I give her props for choosing men who would be able to financially support her children even in there absence of being dads YOU GO GIRL!!!
    timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 9:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• my guess is your friend is not living off child support, but other means of support. Most peoples child support don't beging to cover expenses for our kids.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2011