Weed

Should it be legal just as alcohol is legal?

I know alot of people don't like it because it's a drug and you can smoke it. But nicotine is a drug and you can smoke it too, and it's legal. So...what is it about weed that makes people afraid of it? Is it the fact that it is a drug, the fact that people get high off this drug or is it because your moral conscious just tells you it's wrong?

I have never smoked weed and I don't care if people do smoke weed. As long as it's not around kids and you're not going to do anything violent while on it. Otherwise I don't care. I say legalize that shit.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• popcorn

letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• If they legalize pot I'll never have a clean house again. And there will never be a box of Crunch & Munch on any grocery store shelf. And my responses on CM will make even less sense than they do now. So....I guess my answer from now till retirement is a pretty standard and conservative No, it should not be legalized. :)
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I personally smoked weed it high school and it really messed with me...I got dizzy, high, hungry, sleepy, I felt sick to my stomach, I don't think it should be legal.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I know alot of people don't like it because it's a drug and you can smoke it. But nicotine is a drug and you can smoke it too, and it's legal. So...what is it about weed that makes people afraid of it? Is it the fact that it is a drug, the fact that people get high off this drug or is it because your moral conscious just tells you it's wrong?

Hmmmm....and does nicotine affect your judgement and make you high? If you haven't smoked a cig in a while you might get a small head rush, but in no way does it affect you the same way pot does.

Is there a test they can give you to measure your intoxication like for alcohol? Or even when the last time you used it, since it can stay in your system for quite some time?

Just because it's "natural" doesn't it make it right. Until all they have all the tests they have for alcohol intoxication it gets a big fat NO from me.

Medical use I'm still undecided on.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 2:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think anything that alters a person's state of mind should be illegal....including drugs (even "innocent" marijuana) and alcohol. Cigarettes don't alter a person's state of mind but they are deadly to those who smoke and the ones around them.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I know alot of people don't like it because it's a drug and you can smoke it. But nicotine is a drug and you can smoke it too, and it's legal. ~ OP

Alcohol and cigarettes are both legal, and both have a lot of laws attached to their use. Most of the ones regarding alcohol are flat out ignored, and many people are killed and/or injured because of it. Worse, the laws for alcohol abuse are very lax.

The laws for cigarettes make the lives of people who smoke miserable. Those are based on seriously flawed studies. Worse, out of all the studies used, not a SINGLE one states that tobacco actually causes squat.

I already take my life in my hands just driving to the store thanks to drunks and drug users. I can't smoke ANYwhere except at home (and some would like to tell me what I can do in my own home). If you want to legalize pot, have at it ~ but I'm flat out against it (and I smoked the stuff for several years in HS).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I agree, I think that the 70's mentality still lingers when they use to have all those commercials against it and reefer madness came out. The plant has evolved in so many different ways that it really should become legal. To me the legalization of the weed would mean less income for my family for a large percent of the criminal cases my husband has are of those, but I really think it time has come to become legalized and the drug war to stop.

Answer by older at 3:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The jails are full of drug addicts that started with weed. You don't need dope to start drugs but most have started that way as very young kids.

Why can't we educate, that drugs are not great! my sisters kid was a hooker to pay for her drugs.

We need to stop making drugs look cool in movies. I hate seeing how now they have old people smoking pot in some of the movies I do not think that is funny.

If you needed it because you can't eat, because of cancer than that is when you should use it.
    I have no problems with using it for medical reasons, they use other drugs too.

Kids get their drugs from their parents and that is what makes this sad.

Of course I believe if you use illegal drugs you are supporting crime, and are part of our big problem.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't care if it's legal or illegal you should know not to use any kind of drug.

"just because you can it does not mean you should" good thing to tell your kids.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Regulate it
    Tax it
    Legalize it

Not a smoker, but it makes fiscal sense-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2011