How can I make this work on a job application?

I have very little job experience, only having had one real job before (in retail) and I'm almost 23. I wanted to focus on college so that's why I have so little job experience. I used to buy and sell clothing to my friends and classmates to make extra cash. I did well, but I don't know how to make that work on a job application. Would it look good or tacky to say that I used to be my own boss doing that? What is a good way to word my previous sales experience. The job I'm applying for is in jewelry sales.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well you can ad it as an extra thing on your application. Its not necessarly a job because you dont have a tax payer ID number. But you can still put it there and the fact that you were focusing on school is a plus to jobs. They would rather hire a person who has a schooling over someone who has tons of jobs. It shows your priority. GOOD LUCK
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Just state you have some retail experience being your own boss, but it didn't work because of the economy.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Write that your were self employed. business owner in involved in retail sales.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• As a new grad, your college experience comes first, and should be highlighted, followed by school activities and volunteer work, then your entrepreneurial experience.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Speak to the things you have accomplish. One question I got asked is how I resolved a difficult situation like an upset customer. List the milestones in you're own business or a job. They need to see the benefits you can bring to their business.
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2011