Honesty

My eight year old seems to completely forgotten what it means. And she lies over things that wouldn't get her in trouble in the first place. Or things that if she just tells the truth wouldn't be a big deal. Not a clue on how to "fix" it. We have tried taking away privledges, talking, punishment, positive reinforcement when she tells the truth. She has just turned into a liar. Is this a phase? Will she outgrow it? Or shall I live quaking with fear over her teenage years?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm choosing - she will out grow it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I remember reading something about lying actually being a GOOD thing for them to do. Apparently it's an ingrained survival skill. Of course, you shouldn't encourage this behavior, but I wouldn't worry too much.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 2:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The kid will lie about doing her homework as I am pulling the homework folder out of her backpack. Or eating a cookie when she has chocolate on her mouth.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Is she imitating someone?
    I know you have tried all sorts of things, but what you didn't mention was looking her in the face and explaining to her that you can see that she has chocolate in her mouth and you NEED her to tell the truth.
    I'm voting on this being a phase, but I would look into maybe the possibility of her imitating someone, something (a tv show maybe)
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Bump!
    JoyXtwo

Answer by JoyXtwo at 2:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i posted a ? about it also maybe you can read mine also and no i dont think it goes away my oldest is 15 and still does it i have tried everything
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011