Need advice desperately

i have a 4 month old grandson who has been demanding since birth. he cries at the drop of a hat. even after all his basic needs are met he still cries. we thought he was colicky but hes not. his mom and i are his primary care givers. we are desprerate for sleep. the whole family is. his older brother was just the opposite. with our time taking care of the newborn sometimes i feel his older brother gets short changed. he spends a lot of time watching tv. his mom and i try taking turns spending time with each of them. by the way they live with me. i love them both i just need sleep.

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 2:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Let your daughter be the one to wake up at night to meet his needs. Did the doctor rule out colic, allergies, gerd? Are you sure he isn't coming down with something? Some babies are fantastic...some not so great. I had 1 fantastic and 2 not so great, lol. It sucks but he's getting to the age where he should be able to sleep MOST of the way through the night.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I know I have said Humphries before but this is why... Natural, it helps teething, sleep, and gas. It really does. I'm not saying give it to him all the time but its cheap and worth a try.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It sounds like colick,but, there is nothing u can do for it. My niece was like that and she drove my sister and my mom along with the rest of the family nuts!!!! It will pass. Months from now. My nieces stopped right before her first birthday!!! I know it is really hard right now,but the colick does stop. just hang on to that. they took her to doctors and she is perfectly healthy,it will pass.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Before u give the baby anything,check with the doctor first.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• maybe he has allergies to BF or Formula? have you tried Gripe water? new formula? probiotics which are safe for infants! Humphries brand I agree has many natural aids I would try.. my son was colick like this for 6 months, cried ALL day even when he wasn't in a colic episode, it was horrible.. try chiropractor also.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Wear him or co-sleep. Some babies are just high needs. You can't NOT attend to him. He will grow out of it eventually, just continue to get up with him and love him and feed him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Honestly the shift thing is about all you can do,,, I would make a schedule and soundproof a room as best that you can,,he might have reflux of some sort,,IDK my brother was like this,, and he is high maintence at 40! LOL,, I would talk to doctor,,unhappy baby = unhappy grandma and momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• PS--when I said soundproof a room it was meant for you all to be with him in there,, lol,, didn't want anyone to think I was advocating locking him up,, so one of you can rest while the other is with him!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• his dad bought him gas drops and they changed his formula. its suppose to stop fussiness. he doesnt spit up. he just cries a lot and and its none stop. he really is a good baby. were just at the end of our ropes at how to stop the crying.
    stressedoutgran

Comment by stressedoutgran (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• how about taking him baths especially right before bedtime, massaging him when you put the lotion on him. and if he is of age start putting cereal in his milk to make him feel fuller
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011