Overweight hubby

how do I encourage my hubby to lose the unhealthy pounds he has put on over the last couple of years? He is around 100lbs over a healthy weight.

I worked out and counted my points and calories and lost some weight and then after my youngest was born I was able to lose the weight that I had gained and then another 20 lbs.

He says that he knows that he needs to lose the weight, that his clothes don't fit and that he keeps having to buy even larger sizes, but he still eats so much. He will go back for seconds and no concept of portions. I have offered to work out with him and mentioned the size of his meals, but nothing seems to sink in.

I know that it has to be his choice, but how do I make it happen? I hate the way he looks and how he doesn't seem to see how unhealthy he has gotten. I don't want him to have a heart attack or something or other.

tabbykat6802

Asked by tabbykat6802 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• time to cook healthy meals that are very low fat and very filling after one serving
    Anonymous

• You also need to look at your approach, are you saying things like, "I don't like how you look" or " I think you need to eat less" you npshould let him know " babe, I don't want to loose you at a young age do to a heart attack"
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have repeatedly expressed my fear of his health is being compromised. I am not the type of person to saying something nasty like " I hate how you look." We do try and cook healthy. It's that half of his plate is mashed potatoes and steak, that gets to me.
    tabbykat6802

Comment by tabbykat6802 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• maybe when you do cook, not to flavor anything. if he's gonna take a big portion of potatoes, make sure you didnt add any butter or salt before hand. One should only have a small portion of meat. only make just that much and nothing more. freeze the the rest. Above all, leave the salt off the table, he needs to learn how to flavor his food by scooping his potatoes with his meat.

I have a hard time with my hubby too but he isnt obese in any way, it just bugs me how he can put crap into his body and be ok with it. You should also have another veggie other then 1 at the table
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Would he be open to going to the doctor and having a physical? Maybe if the doctor sees he is overweight and talks to him about being overweight and the health problems it can cause he might start to take his health seriously. Otherwise there really is not much you can do to 'make' him start taking responsibility for his weight, he has to be the one to decide to loose weight and he has to make the effort. What you could do is try to encourage him to eat healthier foods,and see if you could work on teaching him what a healthy serving size is (portion control) maybe encourage him to go walking or exercise with you. I hope your husband will listen and make an effort to be slimmer and get healthy. Good luck!

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• OK, I'll speak from my own experience. I was the unhealthy one and my dh tried for a long time to get me to see I wasn't healthy. He never stopped loving me or was ever rude or mean - he was really concerned. He has always tried to live healthy. I was offended b/c I didn't want to face the fact that I wasn't living healthy. He finally found what I needed to hear - that I wouldn't be the example I wanted to be for my daughter -which he knew was important to me. I've since lost 80lbs and take much better care of myself. So my point is, find what is important to him - is it being able to chase your kids? Fit in a certain size? Not following or DO follow in his parents footsteps (if they're healthy or not) You just have to find what's important to him and STRESS that fact. Find a nutritionist and a personal trainer to get him help!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 5:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Don't buy the junk. If you think he's piling too many potatoes on his plate....well cut what you make in half and don't have left overs. Be more active by saying "Let's all go out for an after dinner walk" or suggest trips to the zoo or get a trampoline for the kids and have hubby jump on it too (those things have you out of breath in 2 minutes or less lol).

Have him watch infomercials on P90X, Insanity or other systems sold at beachbody.com and say "Hey, let's commit and pick one of these to do together" I bought Insanity and hubby just jumped right in and is doing it with me.....which is clever of me, he doesn't even realize I popped it in and did it while he was home on purpose to get him into it too.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2011