Should i talk to his dr or is it phase.

My 3 year old son has had a lot of sleep issues since he turned one and not wanting to nap.
I put him to bed at 7:30 every night with the same routine since he was an infant. I can here him talking and jumping and playing with his toys still at 9pm i go in numerous times and tell him it is bed time. I really don't know what time he goes to sleep, but i do know he wakes up around 7am. He used to wake up at 7:30am. When he wakes up under his eyes they are red like he has not slept in the last 24hrs. I put him down for a nap around 2:30pm and he fights that but only sleeps for a half hr to an hr. Even then he wakes up and his eyes have the darkness underneath.
I don't think he is getting enough sleep at night or in nap, and he has tons of energy and can go for days with out sleep if u let him.
Any suggestions on how i can get him to sleep at night and for nap so his eyes don't look so sleepy all the time. He even whines and cries and pulls his ears constantly when he is sleepy, but just won't let himself go down.
I know he doesn't have an ear infections because his check up was clear for that.
He fights his tiredness all day, and constantly says his eyes hurt and he is tiered. I tell him if u just take a hr to hr and half nap he would feel better.
What do u all think, or suggestions on what i can give him to get a good night sleep.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What is his diet like? Lots of carbs? Sugar? caffeine?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• He doesn't get any caffeine and if he does it is a small amount like 2 sips out of mine, He can't have that much juice or he gets the runny BMs. He eats more fruits then anything, and drinks water and milk. He has protine and has to drink Pediasure
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• melatonin.. safe and natural.. do some research online or talk to the pediatric doc, but i would start with half to 1mg see if that helps him sleep.. other option kinda sounds backwards, caffiene.. watch how he reacts to caffiene if you give him any, some kids who have a tendancy to be hyperactive- caffiene has the opposite effect on them and will calm them down..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My daughter never falls asleep right away. Never has. She is eight. I removed all toys from her room a long time ago. I let her have a book in bed and that is all. It helped a lot.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Ok so how long are his naps? I think you are putting him to nap time way to late and this is why hes not tired at night. Say his nap is 2-3hrs and then you give him dinner bath bed already hes not sleepy. If he was at school his nap time would be around 12 and it would be like for 1-2hrs. but at home you can have it 2-3 if its at 12. You have to keep the same thing going every day if he gets up early in the morning feed him then play do your chores and then before you know it its nap time then its up to you if you want to give him lunch before or after nap time. Then if he doesnt get up on his own after 3hrs. you wake him up or he'll be up all night like he has been. Then maybe if you can start putting him to bed at 8pm cause maybe 7:30 is to early and he's not ready and thats why he plays you can give him a bath makes them more sleepy too. Hope this helps out let me know.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 1:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2011