Can you buy those head supports for carseats?

So the carseat that i have does not have one of those head supports to help hold up babys head. My son is in the NICU and it looks as though he May be coming home soon. They need to do a carseat test and inspection before he will leave. They said since he is only 5 lbs even the carseat must have the head support. So my question is, can you buy just the support or do i need to go out and buy a whole nother carseat that comes with one.

michelle.coppes

Asked by michelle.coppes at 3:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No..they sell the headsupports. I bought one at Babies R Us. But they have some at Target & Walmart..
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 3:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes, they sell the head support. I bought my dd one for $12 at wal mart.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• They do sell them. You can also roll up a receiving blanket and form it to fit like the head support

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yes you can buy one...walmart..target etc..my baby was a preemie and 5lbs too when she came home...it he still looks itty bitty in it and you are worried roll receiveing blankets up and up at his sides..my dd was so small it looked like there wasnt anything in the seat! Congrats momma and congrat to be bringing home you baby!!!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You shouldnt buy anything that is aftermarket. I would contact the manufacturer and buy one made for your carseat. Those on the shelves at walmart are NOT crash tested and they usually arent fire retardant. A safer option is the neck support things that look like mini boppy pillows. It holds up the head, but it doesnt get in between the back of baby and the carseat, which is what you want to avoid.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i bought one at target! worked great!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Do NOT use a head rest that did not come with the seat. You can use to receiving blankets rolled up on each side of his head.

Using a head support that didn't come with the seat can void the warranty on the seat and can be dangerous because it wasn't made specifically for that particular seat.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• snuzzler
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Q51: Can I use aftermarket products to help install carseats or position seatbelts?
    In general, you should not use any products not recommended by the manufacturer of your carseat or vehicle. Despite the claims of some companies, these products are NOT regulated by any federal standard, and have not been tested or certified by carseat manufacturers. This is not to say these products do or do not work, but your choice to use them might compromise the safety of your carseat.
    Q52: Can I use an infant head support? Is it OK to put a padded cushion under the child for comfort?
    Generally, NO. Unless such items come with the carseat or are recommended by the manufacturer of the carseat as an accessory, do not use them. Aftermarket pads and cushions are not tested with the seat and any compressible material inside the harness may allow for more slack in the restraint. With a small infant, it is usually OK to put a rolled towel
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• That info came directly from: http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html

BradenIsMySon