What's the easiest way to teach my chihuahua to walk on a leash?

I bought a small mesh harness and a retractable lead yesterday so I could start going on walks with my doggy (I take him outside pretty often but I usually just let him run around) it wasnt a disaster but it wasnt perfect either....how can I teach him to walk without me having to pull him behind me or him trying to dart off...of course he can't because he's on the lead lol but you know what I mean

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Pets

• Personally, I'd get rid of the retractable leash at the very least until your dog is used to being on a leash. Those things are more of apin when training in my opinion. When I am first teaching a dog to walk on a leash I don't expect them to go on a long walk just yet especially if they are really resistant to the leash. Encourage him to follow you, make it fun talk silly to him, use a sqeaky toy or even treats (soft treats are the best for training, easy to break and make into small sizes) if you need to. If he is really resistant have him drag the leash around the house supervised so that he gets used to the feel of it there.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I am currenty teaching my puppy to walk on leash. I just encourage him to come along and give him lots of praise as he walks next to me. Walking is kind of self rewarding, they enjoy the activity so once they figure out the leash means fun it catches on pretty quick. When holding the leash it should be lose between you and the dog, when I encourage the dog to come I give a couple of quick yanks with the leash, nothing harsh, just enough to get the dog's attention. When the dog is a head of me and pulling I stop and wait for the dog to turn back to me and loosen the leash. Hope that makes sense and helps!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 3:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011