What are your views on marriage counseling?

Chunky_Dynamic

Asked by Chunky_Dynamic at 3:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it's great. We went to marriage counseling before we got married and it kind of helped prepare us some but then after a couple years of being married we went again. we weren't on the verge of divorce or anything but I'm always up for improvement and each time we've went it's helped us
    asmama6706

Answer by asmama6706 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I've never done it (never been married) but I think if you need it then it's a great thing. I think some couples give up to fast sometimes.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• if you want it go for it but don't live together for the next 24 hours after you leave your sessions.. lots of finger pointing! You need 24 hours to think through what you just uncovered and learned before you can act correctly and honestly.
    Anonymous

• I've never done it as a married couple, but I have "counselled" friends on their relationships. I think that both people need to be willing to do it or it's not going to work.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• ive feared what anon said. where would i go after the counseling? lol....i haven't yet went but as soon as i get my license, i'm making an appointment and we are going. i'm tired of being smothered cause he can't get over something i did 10 years ago. someone needs to help him, if i can't hopefully they can.

My views...go if you want to help your marriage but also go even if he won't, be willing to get him to go everytime you go. Don't hop on the divorce train right away but talk about why its the reason you both need to go.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You know how when you wait for your car to start smoking then when you take it to the mechanic you have a hefty bill and a long wait time for repair?

But if you go in for regular oil changes it's a fairly quick in and out?

And if the car starts smoking and you DON'T take it to the mechanic your engine can seize and you either get rid of the whole car or have to put in a new engine (and talk about long repair and pricey bill!)

I think marriage counseling is like that. If your marriage is "smoking", you should definitely go, but expect it to take more than a "quick lube" appointment. The price tag to fix might hurt a little, but so much better than waiting for your marriage's engine to seize. But it is more than ok to go for "regularly scheduled maintenance". Catch problems before they start "smoking"; keep your marriage's engine purring. :-)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 3:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i say if it helps that couple that's great, but not all therapists are great to help. but to each its own i say.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I feel that marriage counciling should be the last thing that a couple should do if all else fails.I insisted on marriage counciling to try to save our marriage, but it didn't work, he said that he didn't have a problem, so it didn't do any good . We still wound up in a divorce. I am
    much happier today anyway.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 10:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011