Who has done or is doing ATKINS for weight loss ?

letstalk747

Asked by letstalk747 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I have seen it done and done it myself.. I had a woman who worked in the medical office with me go on it and she lost almost 100lbs doing it hardcore..

I did it, crashed the diet and lost more that way.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• there is a woman I work with who lost weight on it but I guess like many Diets, its hard to stick with.. you need more daily carbs than that...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I was on the Atkins diet and it saved my life. I was taking 6 medications for asthma prior to starting Atkins. Once i took away all my carbs, flours, sugars, etc. I could breathe again. Once i started adding carbs back in I found that food was the culprit for my asthma attacks. I am no longer on any asthma medications and I did lose 60# and was able to keep it off for over 10 years. I need to go back on the diet again because carbs snuck back into my life. Anyone else need a partner?
    Bemi9

Answer by Bemi9 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• South Beach is far healthier for you than Atkins!
    Anonymous

• here's the thing with Atkins, it DOES work, but you have to stick with it and be ready to do it long term. if you do it short term and then stop, you're guaranteed to gain the weight back- and then some. but the longer you do it for, the more foods you're able to eat. my dad did it- he lost like a hundred pounds and even got off medications he'd been on for years!! (for high blood pressure). but it's one of those things you really have to do research and know about going into it, definitely long term.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Atkins can only be dangerous if you are prone to low blood sugar levels....if you've ever felt so hungry you had the shakes, sweating, feeling lightheaded, etc. this is hypoglycemia and eating such low carb can make this a problem. As a diabetic I stick to 100-120 grams of whole grain carbs a day and on the Atkins diet that would be considered a lot, when compared to what most people eat it is relatively low.

I agree that South Beach has a much more rounded, balanced way of eating, I don't follow it but I do use it's cookbook for healthy tasty meals.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011