Dumb question about calories...

So...I love working out, I also LOVE food. I exercise about 3-4 hours a day and thats not counting the time I spend running around and playing with my DD.
I keep a food diary online and I eat about 1200 calories a day, but I burn almost all of them, so technically at the end of the day I have only had about 300 calories that havent been burned off.
I AM NOT losing weight :( It is killing me, Is it because Im burnig all the calories, my body thinks Im not eating and holding on to the extra weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I will echo that you're not eating enough but also offer my experience. I am training for a marathon + I work out. I peaked out at running 44 miles a week (in 4 days of running) spin 2x a week, strength training 2x a week, swimming at least once. Even though I eat clean and thought I was eating enough to lose weight I was only averaging 1400 calories a day and not losing weight. I increased my calories by eating every 2 - 3 hrs but I also varied my calories. On my long run days (like over 20 miles) I would eat 2500 calories but on Tue or Thu when I cycled and strength trained and it wasn't as intense I'd have more like 1800 and on my rest day I'd eat 1400. When I did this, I lost 5lbs in about 2 weeks.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• 1200 calories if you are exercising 3-4 hours daily is ridiculous. Your body is in starvation mode! You need to feed it right if you want to lose weight. If you are burning 900 calories a day in exercise then you need to eat at LEAST 2000 calories a day to make sure you are getting enough calories not to send your body into starvation mode.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You need to eat more.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 3:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• With that much exercise, you need to be eating a lot more. I know it seems counterproductive, but weight loss is mainly 80% diet, 20% exercise. Your body requires fuel to function even without the extreme work outs. It sounds like you're not eating nearly enough. There are countless BMR calculators on the internet that can help guide you to the minimum YOU should be consuming for your body and activity level.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I'm with the first poster, your body is in starvation mode, you need to eat more and exercise less, even once every other day, to start seeing weight loss.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yeah, sounds like you know already. Do you drink lots of water? If you're really exercising a lot, you need to eat more calories. A 1200 calorie diet would be good for someone who is not as active as you are. You could stand to eat more food.

Water is huge too, if you don't drink enough water you will have a harder time losing.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Is that why Im not losing the weight?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• thanks so much ladies, I appreciate your answer. I guess I will eat more :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yeah, you're not eating enough calories to lose weight.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2011