Want a piano, but know very little about them.

Looking into getting a piano. I would like to learn to play and I want my children to learn as well. From what I have been looking at it looks like to get a decent piano we have to start at least in the 2,000 dollar range. Ouch, but I do want a piano that will last us many years.  Any piano teachers out there that can give me advice on what brands & what age pianos I should look into to get our first piano? 

Lynette

Asked by Lynette at 3:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Shopping

• Here's a good article with a lot of details:

http://www.marthabeth.com/piano_brands.html

I personally have only had experience with Baldwins and Yamahas, both of which are well-known for their quality. A good piano store in your area should have a knowledgeable salesperson to help guide you in the right direction. I'd visit a few different places if possible.

One other note--pianos do require maintenance in the form of tuning by a professional. Even the best piano will not perform to a certain standard if it's not cared for according to the manufacturers specifications.

Good luck!

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• well i would start with some piano lessons first before you jump in like thjat and make sure its worth it and that your family likes it and you will also become knowledgable that way
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• well u need a piano to be able to take lessons. I took lessons as a child and really liked it but I couldn't stand practicing on a keyboard(didn't like the feel of the keys) so i quit. This is very important to my husband and I that the children learn so I know it'll be worth it.
    Lynette

Comment by Lynette (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2011