Do you have a hard time looking people in the eyes?

It makes me a little uncomfortable especially men. Idk I think its because of abuse when I was younger. I have always been like that. Can you relate?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Health

• I'm the same way, for the same reason. I was physically, sexually and mentally abused by my birth mom and step dad and part of my punishment was getting hit again if I looked them in the eyes (I think that made me seem like a real person to them or something, and they didn't want that). I'm slowly getting over it now that I'm working through those issues, but it's taking time. It's been 11 years since I was removed from their home and I still have issues.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I tend to not look people in the eye without knowing that I'm not looking them in the eye. It was pointed out to me a few years back that I actually look a little above and to the left of the person's head...I never knew. Always though I was looking right at them. Since then I do my best to keep my eyes on their face, but sometimes think that the person has to think I'm just drilling into them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I find myself avoiding eye contact in general. I make 'false' eye contact by watching the person who is talkings mouth instead.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• No, I ONLY look new people in the eye when I talk to them. I am a person reader & usually sum up my opinion of them immediately & I am usually right. Of course when I am with my family members, I don't do it. I am actually more comfortable talking to men since I worked with only men for 13 years.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• That is the first thing I do when I meet someone, eye contact gives me a lot of information, I believe in that expression that the eyes are the windows to one's soul.

Answer by older at 4:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• no, i don't have an issue, but i can imagine that it's difficult to deal with... good luck
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I do. I grew up in a family where there was constant yelling and fighting and I attribute it to that. I have to force myself to look at people and its difficult sometimes. It makes me very uncomfortable.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• That's sad Mrs.Bat glad you are working through that.....ya its tough glad you can relate.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011