how to drop a night feeding

my BF baby sleeps with me and eats like crazy at nught,how do u drop one of her feedings,she is 6months.she wont take a pacy,

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 5:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when she's ready to drop a feeding then she won't wake up. only when she's ready
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• drop a feeding? well, you could give her some more formula.. means: make it thicker. Add more formula to the water, it will make her stuffed longer ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I know how the docs recommend weaning night feedings for formula fed babies, but I have never heard of doing it with BF babies. Sorry. Do you pump or do you latch at night? I am guessing he latches? If that is the case, I am at a loss. I was told to start mixing the bottles thinner so that she wasn't getting as much at night, and therefore became less dependent on it. I am not sure as far as BF babies though. I agree with the first poster, she will let you know.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• You could try rocking, singing, or best option, let dad comfort during that waking. It's hard. My son is 15 months old, and I haven't been able to drop a mid night feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Have you tried making her more full before you put her to bed? If she falls asleep while eating, wake her and see if she's still hungry. My guy oftentimes falls asleep while eating, but if he's woken up he eats a bunch more, and he pretty much sleeps through the night. He wakes up after sleeping seven hours or so and I lay him next to me in bed and let him eat what he wants, then he goes back to sleep for a couple more hours.

If she's plenty full, she might just not be ready to give it up yet! Sucks for you, but every baby is different, and she just may need to eat more often. It'll get better someday! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• she wont take a paci because she wants to feed.

I would wait until shes ready - that could be a while. My son still has to have quite a big feed just before he falls asleep and sometimes an hour later I may have to go feed him again. He is 1.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:07 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I also agree with Katie - my son if woken during the night (sometimes I have late nights doing work and we all sleep in the same bed), if I disturb him he will wake up and I will have to feed him (its ok cos im going to bed anyway) but if I hadnt of disturbed him he would have slept through the entire night without a feed.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 7:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i just wanted to agree with the first answer.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:32 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If it's possible try having your baby sleep in a separate bed or even room from you. She may just be waking out of habit at this point (i.e. if she's waking at the same time(s) each night then it may just be her internal clock waking her up telling it's time to eat). At that age, it's very likely that she has the ability to sleep through the night. Just focus on filling her up during the day. You could even add an additional feeding during the day if you think that'd help. My DD just turned 7mo. She's been sleeping through the night since 5 mo. I nurse her 4-5 times a day and she eats a serving of cereal w/ fruit for breakfast, two veggies for lunch, and cereal w/ fruit for dinner (which I do right before she goes to bed)
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 9:54 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• when she wakes up she acts like she cant go back to bed without sucking,i tried a new methoud that worked sometimes last night,i rubed her head or rotaded her and she went back to sleep
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:31 AM on Dec. 3, 2008