Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions??? Another step daughter issue

My stepdaughter's mother already had three kids and married a man that has five kids. Well we already pay $200.00 month for child support and buy her school clothes every year and school supplies. (not court ordered - nothing is court order just agreed on with paper signed by both) Not counting the money we give back to my mother in law for extra stuff she buys her through out the year. Her mother says that with eight kids they are struggling and if we could send more month that would be great. I dont feel that its our fault that she married a man with eight kids and we should have to pay her any extra. We have two kids of our own to support and heck they just bought a house.


Asked by tgeary at 4:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 13 (933 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • It might be a good idea to take her to court and get a fixed amount for child support- and then remind mom/mil that you have paid what you are required and obligated to pay. Since the mom and 2nd husband have a larger family maybe she should get a job (if she is not already working) and they should learn to budget their money better and live w/in their means.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • You should get something via the courts....Because $200 per month for 3 children is REALLY REALLY low and despite having a written agreement. The courts if not handled properly could determine that your SO has under payed for all this time and will have to make up for it.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • The court would probably order him to pay more than $200.00 a month anyway. Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous of her to ask; she should have to handle her own. I just think your DH might come out the loser if you get into a court situation. Maybe you could offer to do something small like $225 a month, or pay for school lunches each week. Try to come up with a compromise that will work for everyone, and make sure the agreement is notarized.

    Answer by Kimedbs at 4:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • why don't you see if the girl can come and live with you? She must be going crazy having that many other kids living around her,, none of who she is related too! $200 does not begin to take care of a child,, so if you love your step daughter,, see if she can live with you all? If that isn't an option, you had better get something worked out, because if she goes to court, your probably going to have to pay alot more thatn $200.. good luck

    Answer by kimigogo at 4:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • So are all three of these children your husband's? If they are, $200 is amazingly amount to be giving for child support. Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

  • It's only one child that my husband has with her. Her other 2 are by two other men. I work in child support and I did a child support worksheet that they use in our state and its just a $15 dollar difference based on her making $0.00 and my hubby making $10.00 and hour. In all we probably pay $500.00 month with the school supplies and school clothes.

    Comment by tgeary (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011