Why is it that people who get food stamps can also put their kids on free lunch and free breakfast at school

I was talking to a woman at my son's school while we were waiting for the teacher (the teacher was doing individual confreres with each parent about what classes their child would be taking next year). Anyway we got to talking and she said that her 3 kids were all on free lunch and breakfast so it was nice that she doesn't have to fix those for them. Not judging, I said, well I think it is great they have those programs for families who need it. She said 'well it's more about the convenience, I get almost $600 a month in food stamps". Now I ask you, if she gets $600 a month for food, why does she need the government to also give her kids free lunch and breakfast???? I mean she is only feeding her kids 11 meals out of 21 a week! I am all for people getting help when they need it but taking everything you can get when you don't even begin to need it is CRAZY!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• I can see where you're coming from.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I know some people that get foodstamps and they really don't cover the costs for a month. Unless you want top ramen and mac n cheese all month. Especially now the food prices are rising.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have no idea. I feed my family of 5 every meal for less than $600 a month.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Its income based... lunch program and foodstamps, if she doesn't have the income, she qualifies easily for both.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I guess, but how many kids does she have at home? I wouldn't give one more thought to this, and be thankful you don't need the help.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• but yes some people are abusing the system, we've established this by now lol :p
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Report her to the food service department. She is supposed to report her food stamp card number so they can charge her food stamp card, it says that on the free lunch application.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Cause food stamp money also has to pay for things like diapers and paper towels in some cases.

If you think being poor and unemployed is so great and the benefits are so awesome, why don't you give it a try?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• She gets $600 a month,they certainly don't live of mac and cheese. I feed a family of 6 on $500 a month. She said she just has the 3 kids and she is not married
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Wow. I don't even understand that. I'd rather make my kids breakfast at home and even do a bag lunch. Cafeteria food is generally lousy. Not to mention I'd love to have $600 a month for food. We don't have near that amount to spend.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011