How do you deal with a SO that starts freaking out when things get serious?

My SO and I have been together for 9 months. He travels alot for work and works extremely hard. He has been hurt really bad by his ex girlfriends. They left him because he works too much. I love him and he loves me but I can tell he has issues with abandoment. He always says he is so scared I'm going to leave him because everyone always does. How do I ease his fears? I'm going to be busy myself with school and work and my son, it is super hard to be away from him so much but I'm willing to make that sacrifice. Any ideas?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• It is a boyfriend,, not a s/o,, but just be patient,, 9 months is not too long, so give it time,, but if he is backing off it may just be that he doesn't want a relationship,, and honeslty perhaps you need to think about what it would be like to be with someone who was gone all the time, missing your kids first step, their loss of first tooth, not being there for ballgames etc,, I know that I would begin to resent that! good luck
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• he has no kids, I know he had a hard childhood. We are just so great together I want to let him know I'm here but at the same time I am feeling neglected. I know he cares and loves me but I feel like he is intentionally pushing me away. Do I just give him his space?
    June_Mama09

Comment by June_Mama09 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011