How many of you (Wiccans, Witches, etc.) were trained in a tradition and coven?

A fam trad, Gardneria, Alexandrian, etc.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 5:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I trained for a while with a Gardnerian Coven.

It taught me highly structured Gardnerian Covens are NOT for me.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• No, solitary/couple(cuz I do rituals and work with my husband at times too) is it. Ive never been a part of a coven and really have no desire to be.
    However, having people around me to chat about stuff would be nice.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I dabble a LOT so please correct me if I'm wrong (nicely). Gardner is considered the grandfather of the Neo-Wiccan religion. And here's where it gets complicated and sticky. Some Wiccans will claim their religion is pre-christian, some will say it's only about 60 years old and is a revival of long forgotten old traditions. Gardner, I believe, was a drunken jerk and turned MANY of his rituals and gatherings into drunken orgies. However, there are those that say his is the One True Path.

Alexandrian I don't know much about.

There is also a largish faction of Dianics. They follow the Goddess Diana, and often tend to be man haters.

For me, personally I'm an eclectic Pagan, which to some is sacrilegious. That means that I take a little from here, there and everywhere and make it my own. I believe in trying to live in harmony with my surroundings, karma (golden rule), and "mythical creatures" like fairies and dragons.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think the only reason I wanted to be in a coven was because I was new and thought that I would be better off but I realize that I am better off on my own. I enjoy speaking with others and working with others just not like a coven.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• MrsHouston, think of a coven like a church. You go there for specific things, like rituals or celebrations. At least that is what I have learned.

There are branches of Wicca just like with Christianity and each branch has it's own tenets. You could think of them as different denominations of Wicca.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Have always been a solitary witch. I do have to admit, it would be nice to have someone else to talk to that has more experience.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• MrsHouston: a coven is a group of pagans, usually witches of some flavor, that get together on the esbats/sabbats to perform a ritual. MANY people swear by covens and that they're the only way to go. I, personally, don't have enough trust in my fellow humans to even come close to being able to function in a coven.

Now to translate into terms that might be a little more familiar: coven=congregation (loosely), esbat/sabbat=important Holiday. I'll get these wrong because I could NEVER keep them straight when I was wiccan. Esbats are the full moons, I think. More like the minor religious observations. Sabbats are the major religious holidays (Yule in December is a Sabbat). The High Priest/ess would be like the pastor and they are the ones that run the ceremony.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Covens are Wiccan based and are good if you need structure. They consist of a system of hierchy that is time honored. At the beginning of my journey I thought I wanted to be in a coven until I learned of the bounderies at the beginning levels. I know a lot of people who flourish with the set system but I know a lot of Pagans who felt it wasn't for them too. It all depends on what is comfortable for the practioner. I am happy being Pagan and not Wiccan but I do see the beauty and the need for the path.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I do have several friends who were brought up in a family trad. That is very different from a coven because it is the family who decides on what is being taught.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Oh definitely no rudeness, lol.  I am nosy and curious by nature, lol.  Okay so what is a Alexandrian and a Gardneria?

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2011