Daughter having troubles with her Math.

My daughter(8 years old) is in 2nd grade and is having trouble with her math. She is slower on doing her math problems than the other kids. How can I help her with this? I am going to make flash cards and we go over them every day but what other things can I do?

tgeary

Asked by tgeary at 5:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just to let you know... there is a learning disability in math- it's called dyscalculia. i have it. i struggled with math all through school, and continue to in college still. i also struggled with learning how to tell time, and how to tie my shoes, and learning my left from my right... it can be related... i got tested and evaluated in 2006, so that i could get accomodations in the college that i'm attending... feel free to message me if you have any questions...
    hanniwrencher

Answer by hanniwrencher at 5:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• At 8, I'm thinking it's still pretty basic math. Have her do every day things. Making change, for a purchase, she'll have to add or subtract, helping you to double a recipe...or halve a recipe will make her work with fractions. Have her help divide up servings at the table, using math in real life situations helps it to make more sense.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• All kids learn differently. Find something that she is interested in and use it for counting. Some kids do better if they can see and touch. I worked in .the learning lab for a long time. Try until you find the way she learns. Good luck
    irememberwhen59

Answer by irememberwhen59 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• you could always get her tested to see if she has a disibility
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• wow ... hanni... You are describing much of me to a T. I was horrible at math (until I hit algebra - that I LOVED) But I still say + - x adn dividing are a little shaky. Over the years I've learned "tricks" and it does get better. But yup, my lil bro (by 3 yrs.) could tie his shoes b/f me, and I didn't learn left from right till I was a Jr. Cheerleader in 6 grade, lets not even talk about clocks....

Using real life, look for "tricks" to help her remember, flash cards for speed... all wonderful ideas.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• What kind of problems are giving her a hard time???
    Also try using LOTS of manipulatives, things she can touch and hold.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Her main trouble is doing her math fact sheets. She gets them right if she is not rushed but they only have a certain amount of time to do the sheets.
    tgeary

Comment by tgeary (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011