Come on people watch your kids please & save me the headaches!

School vacation + rainy day + mcdonalds play place = awful simply awful!

Okay so I went to the play place today meeting up with my cousin, I have my daughter who is 3yo. My cousin has an 11mo, 2 1/2yo & 4yo. As soon as we got our food in walks my sisters kids who are being watched by their deadbeat dad today so her kids are 7yo, 6yo & 4yo.

The play area was a zoo seriously so many kids were there & in all ages/sizes! My sisters ex wasnt watching his kids, my cousin well she dosent always catch everything or resolve problems the best so this made me the one they all came to. It was seriously the worse experience ever & not b/c any of my kids did anything wrong, it was all the other kids!

I had the 11mo on the ground in the little kid area crawling around this 4yo girl & she was pretty big came over & picked him up then walked away! I never imagined I'd be yelling at a small child "give me back my baby now" not only did she do this once but TWICE! The second time her mother saw & I would hope she said something I saw her speak to the child. Later the same girl came back to the area & was fishing around but by golly I had my eye on her!

At another point I noticed that there suddenly wasnt a zillion kids whizzing past me so I was curious where did they all go. I look at the end of the slide & this big boy is there I go over & low & behold he is blocking the slide. I told him to move then had to yell at him b/c he wouldnt! He moved & yup 15 kids, that is right 15 kids were piled up in that slide trapped & crying! WTF! Of course all but the baby of my kids were in that pile thankfully only one was crying poor girl.

At another point one of the 4yo comes up to me crying saying someone hit him in the head so I follow him to the spot of the crime. There is another older boy (slide blockers younger brother) & I asked this boy what happend. The boy point blank tells me I hit him in the head b/c I wanted to play so I explain how that wasnt nice then this other small boy comes flying around the corner (a boy I dont know & not with the boy hitting) & cries that he wouldnt let them play. *sigh*

I felt like I was a refuree in there & none of my children were being bad! Well okay two of my kids beat on eachother but nobody elses kid! I swear we wont be going again on a day like today purely awful. Does nobody watch their friggin' children anymore! Why do I have to constantly yell at other kids & I mean yell b/c they wont listen the first time I ask/tell them nicely. Of course I realize other people dont watch their kids so closely b/c I arrived with one child whom is mine & ended up having 7 to watch & there were two other parents there for these kids but they too were just sitting around.

Okay vent over! Go ahead & share your horror story of a childrens play area?

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have been there. I have stopped another strangers kid that was running and knocking over little ones, blocking the slide and numerous other things. I asked him to please stop more than once, then...I asked where his momma was. He pointed into the restaurant...I told him to go in there with her and that he couldn't come back out until she was there to watch him.

Yes, it wasn't my kid, but, if no one is going to keep him from hurting other kids and going to ruin everyone elses play time because his mom was too lazy to watch him...I don't care. It becomes my issue.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I know its horrible but I avoid playplaces like the plague! for this reason and many other sanitary reasons. I know my kids will need therapy but we prefer to get our luches to go and go to a park.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 5:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I can understand your frustration but all in all, you appointed your own self as referee.  I would have worried about my children and my children alone.  Yelling at someone elses child?  Really?  Your one brave soul.  I would have kept my kids out of the line of fire and let the chaos happen around me.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I HATE going there because like you said, it is a freaking ZOO! I don't care if it is a place for kids watch your damn kids! Last time I was there a family of 9 or 10 was in there with their 7 billion kids and they were laughing and joking totally ignoring the kids! I couldn't believe it! Anyone could have walked in there taken a kid and left, they wouldn't have noticed! One of the kids actually came over and asked ME to take them to the bathroom.. uhh... hello.... parents?
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Wow, just picturing the 7 kids between your party of 3 at a play place is mind blowing. Crowded places like that always made me nervous so my kids had to deal with the park if we went anywhere. By the time my 3rd one came along, I had gotten to be a little germophobic as well. The ones still at home (13 & 10) carry around hand sanitizer in their purses, and hooked on their bookbags. As far as yelling/telling other kids to back off, whatever - I'd do it in a second if their mother/parent/caregiver wasn't paying attention and my kid/niece/nephew was crying or in danger. And if said parent, whatever didn't like it, oh, well - they need to step up and watch their own kid and I would not have a problem telling them that in a very calm manner. I don't want to blather on here, but if your cousin and the deadbeat weren't watching their kids, then I'm sure as a responsible parent you felt it necessary to step up. Good for you!!
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• MrsHouston - I suppose you are right but like with the boy at the slide I had no choice but to step in nobody else was & there were so many kids crying in there including all of mine! Actually in every sintuation I had a child being hurt that is why I had to discipline other peoples kids. I guess the only one I could have avoided was when the boy hit my kid in the head I didnt really have to go back to the area & figure out what happened I could have redirected my child to another thing. The fact everyone managed to get out of that place alive is amazing in my opinion!

SaturnsMom - I understand now why you avoid those type of places as we will try to now too!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011