How smart would it be to start trying for baby #3 if Im still nursing my daughter who just turned 1 about a week ago?

I nurse her every 3 hrs during the day when were home but she can go up to 6 hrs without it and probably longer but she will just get fussy and at night I nurse her about 3 times. She is still waking up two or three times a night and sleeping in bed with us because I got so tired of going back in fourth so many times between her room and ours and plus she would wake up almost everytime I would try to put her in the crib. I definatly know I need to work her in her own room eventually and that might be somthing that I need to put a little more effort into. In the mean time were thinking about trying for another baby but not so sure how everything will play out in 9 months if I get pregnant right away. Any one know from experiance having a newborn and another child who your still nursing?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I had a friend who was tandem nursing 2 and got pregnant. She was able to do it all but she had to up her calorie intake to like 2000 or something.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 5:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My point is it is possible.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 5:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• There are a lot of people who tandem nurse. You can nurse while pregnant.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I got pregnant with my 2nd when my first was only four months. When I was about 5 months pregnant (and my daughter was 9 months old) my milk started to dry up. I guess bc i was pregnant. It was awful for about a month bc my daughter did not know how to drink out of anything else! but eventually she figured the bottle out and it felt like a miracle! I now love that they are so close in age. Like you, my first always woke up and i always had to feed her and most of the time i would just bring her back in bed with us (so i could go bak to sleep). She will now be 3 in July and still wakes up in the middle of most nights and comes in to our room to sleep. My second child was breastfed for only 3 months.... and I always pumped and put it in a bottle. He is a COMPLETELY different sleeper. All I have to do is put him in the room and say "night night", and he sleeps through most nights.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You're still nursing a 1 yo every THREE HOURS? Honestly OP, you can start to nurse less and less as she eats more and more solids, and handle a pregnancy just fine, if that's what you want to do. :)
    Anonymous

• The WHO recommends at least 18 months from birth to conception to allow full healing and replenishment of vitamin stores. Also, 2/3 of toddlers wean while their mother is pregnant.

I did the pregnant and nursing thing and it was fine. I didn't have any problems, except that your milk WILL reset to colostrum and most toddlers don't like it lol. Also, nursing sometimes makes a perfect environment for low progesterone which can cause problems. Chart your cycles to make sure your luteal phase is long enough. Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler will teach you how :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Yes I still nurse my 1 yr old every three hrs lol not a big deal to me but I was more concerned about how things would play out if shes still nursing at night which Im sure she will be and with a newborn baby waking up every hour or two. Of course if we do get pregnant I will be much more motivated to get her down to once a night feedings or if Im lucky (long shot lol) she will sleep all night w/o nursing. I know its pretty much up to me as to how will I can handle things but I would like to hear from other moms who have been in that situation.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• OP, I nightweaned my daughter entirely and moved her to her own room, and honestly, I can't see myself nursing two kids at night. But if you're up to it, by all means :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011