• In the Spotlight:

Voluntary Surrender of parental rights?? Anyone gone throught this with ex?

My daughter's father hasnt been around for 5 years and she doesnt know him. She calls my DH daddy. She has a relationship with her grandparents(bio-father parents) but not with her bio-father. He wants to surrender his rights and let my DH adopt her. Has anyone gone through this and what all do you have to do to do it? We really dont have the money for an attorney.

tgeary

Asked by tgeary at 5:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Laws in every state are different. I'd be uncomfortable doing this without an attorney. Why don't you see if you can get a free consultation. Even if the lawyer doesn't handle it for you, he may be able to tell you what you need to do.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I ENVY YOU! lol can't really help you, but I just had to tell you how much I envy you! LOL
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I envy you too. Check with your county's probate court, they can't give you legal advice but can give you very basic information.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2011