Class assignments

I guess my 6th grader isn't finishing his assignments in class. I told the teacher I didn't want him going out for recess at the end of the week if he was missing assignments. I don't know what to do to get my son to knuckle down and just get his work done. I can't call and bug the teacher constantly. I don't want to go sit in his class and have him be made fun of cause his mommy is their. Should I contact the Principle of his school and see what she suggest. Do you moms have something that's worked for your kids?

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 5:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does he have an assignment notebook?? Can he bring home each night what he didn't finish in class that day?

I try not to take recess away- kids need that time
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• The teacher souldnt act or feel as if you are "bugging" her about your son getting assignments done. I would contact the principal and request a meeting and get some help for him set in place. Maybe the work is too overwhelming...maybe they have som eother ideas they could set into place to make sure he is getting the work done.
    Keeping communication open between you and his teacher is key and very importatn..if she is making you feel like your just bugging her..I'd put in a complaint about that.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Is there any way you can pick him up daily? When he gets to the car ask if he has EVERYTHING.....if not walk back in with him and get it. 6th grade they are preparing them for the next levels where teachers don't remind, remind, remind to take homework home. My son is in 8th grade and thought one class was just "stupid" so refused to do the homework. He did inclass work exceptionally well! I found out there is homework M-Th and I required he have it (even if he finished it at school) to show me or that weekend was NO movies, computer, ipod etc. He had one BORING weekend and now we are on track. Good luck
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 5:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• have you talked to him about it? maybe you should start with a punishment like taking something away if he doesn't finish his work and if he does reward him, that way it will motivate him to do well and give him purpose
    SweetlilQtMama

Answer by SweetlilQtMama at 10:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I do exactly what brypmom said. that's how i got my daughter to do right by her school work. GOOD LUCK.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 5:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• i have the same problem and have had so now what we are trying at this point he has a choice as to how much he does during the week but on friday the teachers will take any work hes missing to the office and i will pick it up and then he will do it all at once which is more overwhelming and i explained this to him you can skip it duri9ng the week when you could just be doing a little at a time or you will do it on the weekend and all at once up to you and by the way he doesnt touch because mine also lies about having work or losing it so i pick it up then he sits right there and does it then i get it back and return it to school office monday
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• there is also something called iep or a 504 in schools that the teachers and school have to by law acomodate your child in certain ways that you discuss its a contract and by law they have to follow it there for kids with special ed needs or for kids with like add or anything also the work could even be to easy for him in which is boring so he doesnt want to do it or to hard
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• You might have to go sit in class to make sure he gets it. Because if you don't the teacher is not going to care, The teacher may fail him because the work is not being turned in. My child use to act up and I went and sat in class with him and he jumped on the right band wagon. QUICKLY!!!!
    jana741

Answer by jana741 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 27, 2011