How do I deal with a 16 year old stepdaughter who wants her father all to herself

I've been married to her father for 5 years now and he is wonderful. But the girl constantly lies and steals from me. She won't keep herself or anything clean.
She won't help with anything and seems to be overly obsessed with her father.
She will not do any school work and her grades in core subjects are terrible.
She tells the kids at school I'm evil and even told her aunt that she's afraid of me. I'm at work 45 to 50 hours a week and all I want is some peace, a little respect and some help

Rosebud588

Asked by Rosebud588 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Have a family meeting. Let her know you understand she doesn't 'like' you and she doesn't ever have to but as the other adult in the household you expect some respect. This means helping out with some chores, keeping her own things either organized or in her room with the door shut and you would like it if she could keep the fact she doesn't 'like' you from causing unnecessary drama with in the family. If she has something else she would like to discus now is the time to do it. DH should back you up or the point will be moot.
    Anonymous

• your husband needs to take care of this asap and put a stop to her lying about you and stealing. she of course is probably acting out because mom and dad aren't together anymore and you are in the way. sit her down and have a nice talk with her and if does something or continues to be disrespectful or steal or lie then back hand her (jk). then punishment needs to be put in place. if your husband isn't doing anything about it i would let him know that you don't want him to choose his child over you but in this case it might be warranted.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• she needs to grow up
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 3:51 PM on May. 19, 2011