How do I deal with my two year olds meltdowns.

She gets sooo hot tempterd sometimes and screams, wont let me touch her lays on
the floor crying over little stuff like putting her shoes on. She getts over stimulated
somtimes over little things. Any one ever dealt with these sorts of things? I would .
really appriciate any advice:) thanx

Launasmama

Asked by Launasmama at 5:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to walk away from her & not give her any attention when my daughter did this. We were the child that spun around on the floor slamming our head. So if you have to be out the door somewhere then start early in case of a meltdown. I would come back every so often to the room & ask if she was ready to calm down yet. Now at age 3 she has her fussyness then takes a breath & says "I'm ready to calm down now". I found this to work best for us. Good luck b/c I understand how tough it is & time consuming it can be.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• My son used to get mad whenever we had to put his shoes on or brush his teeth or do his hair and it would be impossible to do anything about it. One day I asked him why he was getting upset. I asked him if he wanted to help. He did a complete 180. Now my son loves to help do everything. Sometimes they don't feel like they have a say in anything. It's also best to start a routine of singing a song while you do these things. My son loves itsy bitsy spider when I comb his hair and Little miss muffet when we tie our shoes. good luck. Terrible Twos don't last forever.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Ok I think these tips will help thanx sooo,much!:)
    Launasmama

Comment by Launasmama (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• Here's what I try to do to reduce these inevitable toddler tantrums. First off, I try to give a warning, as in "You can play for 5 more minutes and then we have to get our shoes and coats on." That way she knows something is coming soon. Then if she starts a fit I try not to play into it, if I get stressed or raise my voice it just seems to get her more wound up and then the battle intensifies. So I keep my voice calm. Then depending on how much of a rush I am in I use one of two techniques, either gentle ignoring or time out. For gentle ignoring, like when she wants to flail around when I am trying to change a diaper, I just turn away from her completely and put my head down, and refuse to turn back until she has stopped. Usually she will be still or say "I'm ready" and then I go back to what we were doing as though nothing happened. Otherwise, I say "Coat on or time out" and I count to three and she knows I mean business. GL
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• just walk away from her and tell her that youll be back when she calms down ... when u ignore a child , they feel that tehy dont have that control over u and will easily stop their tantrum

staying with her and telling her that everything is ok , etc will only make her scream more ....

good luck !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Happymom: Tantrums are completely different from meltdowns.

Launasmama: I would highly suggest a book called The Out of Sync Child and have her evaluated by an occupational therapist for Sensory Processing Disorder.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 6:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2011