Does anyone know anything about assistance and resources for single moms?

I am a single mom with only my income to support myself and my son. I was denied assistance because I was told I make too much money. Does anyone know anything about assistance programs?

DWsMom05

Asked by DWsMom05 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• did you try WIC?
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:57 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Did you try energy assistance? I was a single mom for awhile and when I didnt qualify for food stamps or aid I did qualify for that and it was a huge help. Theyd pay some of my electric bill every so many months and it was always a welcome surprise. And also for the holidays I got help because the school helped. I contacted the school social worker and they had programs I didnt even know about and signed my kids up. You can also contact local churches and often times they will adopt a family and help.

Answer by gemgem at 5:59 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• it depends on where you live. What were you denied for? Food stamps or medicaid? Here in TX if you can't qualify for Medicaid you can get CHIPS at a very low cost. I know some other states have programs like that. There's also WIC if you're not already on that. It helps some with food and baby formula.
    Amberfire82

Answer by Amberfire82 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2008