S/O of 'christian holidays'..tell me again why Good Friday is a holiday..

..er, rather why it is acknowledged as a 'day-off-from-work/banks/USPO/federal offices,etc/schools-closed' holiday?
i mean, its not like we're a xtian nation (that's been established),  and none of us live in Vatican City, right?

frankly, being in business for myself, it was never a day-off for me..besides, fridays in a salon can be profitable!!! lol!

(there's any number of sections this could be posted in.)

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• 3 day weekend I think

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Good Friday is said to be the day that JESUS was put in the tomb where 3 days later, he arose, which is why we celebrate Easter 3 days later....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I dont know good question.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• And now I understand your screen name!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• yeah...i got that, babybugsmama..lol. i'm xtian.
    but WHY is it a nationally acknowledged holiday?
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Really the USPO, gee and I had to take Friday off. The PO is not closed. Mail will run. As for banks here they're open.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• so i guess its more of a local-call, as to whether banks or other businesses are closed/early. i know in our area, they are usually closed or close early, like noon/1pm. local services won't run, such as garbage.
    so the answer is whoever's in charge makes the call? just an excuse for a 3day wknd, like butterflyblue said? ok! i'll go with that.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Its the day Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Bless HIm
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 6:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Not a holiday for me. If I take it off I either go without pay for the day or have to use vacation. It's never been a holiday that I'm aware of. I'll google and get back to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

Looks that way. Like I said it's not one of the many Holidays the PO takes off.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2011