Do you believe in piercing your infants ears, or think a parent should wait untill they are older?

I waited untill my told me she wanted her ears pierced, when she was 6. Its much more rewarding to see the smile on her face, showing everyone her pretty ear rings. It makes me sad seeing the pore lil babies bawling their eyes out for something they could care less about. Obviously, its to make the parent happy when they are too young to care about having bling in their ears. Or am I just totally wrong on this matter?

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did my first dd's early but let my younger dd tell me when she was ready. She'd say "I want my ears pierced", but then she'd say "when I'm bigger mom"..lol..Then when she turned 6 she would tell me she wanted it done, but left out the when I get bigger. she's had them done about 2 months now. I don't think it's wrong either way. To each their own, but I do think it's neater to wait till they are ready. Cause it's for them that way. Something they can remember. Dunno just neater

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I don't think it honestly matters. To each their own. I know some parents believe like you do. Wait until they are older and then take them for an ice cream or something special.

I had my daughters ears pierced when she was a baby (she's 2 now) and I don't see a problem with that either. Honestly, she cried for a minute and was ok.

I don't think either way is bad...just what people chose to do. If she is older and doesn't want it...the holes can close up.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• To each his own i say but I couldn't do that too my girls cause I'm too sensitive too put them in pain for jewelry I waited with my ioldest to ask and then it was her decision.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• for me I waited because my mom had waited. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was older and I wanted to share the experience with my DD like my mother and I did. I do believe it is a personal choice and if parents decide to get their DD ears pierced when they are babies it is their decisions. I just knew it wasn't the right one for me. I am so glad that I waited.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I did my oldest's ears at 6 months because I had mine done the year before I wouldn't stop playing with them.. infection set it.. anyway, i wanted to get her ears done before she knew what was going on.

My youngest we haven't gotten around to doing them and now that she is two i think we will just wait it out.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• You are not totally wrong. Everyone had their own opinion and that is your opinion. I plan to pierce my little girls ears as soon as I can after I have her because its just a pinch, and I remember when I got mine done thinking I wish Mom had already got these done. And I have talked to quite a few people who don't have their ears pierced but would like to have them done and are to nervous to do it. But thats just my opinion.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I think each to their own, I pierced my daughters ears at 4 mths, she let out a small cry, smaller than the hungry cry and we had a bottle right there for her and that was it, it wasnt a dramatic scene at all, she is now almost 4 and we have never had any issues with them, no infections, we take them out for long periods when she doesnt want them in. Wait or not to wait I dont see issue with either, I find it ridiculous when I see people on here saying that its abuse doing it, talk about extreme!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Eh..You have you opinion. I did my girls when the were 4months, 12 months and 13 months and the only one that cried was my oldest at 4 months. The other two didnt even flinch and have never had issues with any of them playing with them.
    AmandaMichele

Answer by AmandaMichele at 6:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I know a little girl who had hers done early & she ended up with a torn ear lobe because it got caught in her bedding & she ended up having to have plastic surgery to repair it.
    Anonymous

• I disagree with piercing infants. However, should one choose to do so, I urge that person to go to a licensed piercer who uses a needle, not a gun.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011