Why does my son with autism dig in his behind?

laquietta

Asked by laquietta at 6:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in Health

• didn't wipe well?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Maybe it itches.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• How old is the child? Have you had him evaluated medically to determine if there is a physical reason for his behavior? If it isn't physical (eg.. hemmorhoids, anal fissure, pruitis, etc.), then it may be a sensory issue. If it's sensory, then you could have your child evaluated by a qualified OT and begin appropriate interventions. In the meantime, you may want to consider dressing your child in onesies under his regular clothes (they do make them in larger sizes for special needs).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Maybe he's looking for the weapons of ass destruction?
    momdonna2g

Answer by momdonna2g at 6:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I love all you girls answers. First off I wipe very thoroughly when he makes a bm. Second, I took him to a doctor and they couldn't find anything that was causing this behavior. Third, he is 10 yrs old and the O.T. did suggest that it is sensory and that it will be a little harder to break. I have tried the onesies and he knows how to manuver around them to get there. I love the last response to the question, which was "maybe he's looking for the weapons of ass destruction" I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because that's what it comesdown to. I have toclean him up when he does this,which is very,very,very often. In thecar on the road, in public places, anywhere he can do it he WILL. I have to keep bags of wet wipes with me at all times because he WILL do it anywhere, at anytime.It does not matter to him.
    laquietta

Comment by laquietta (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• i agree, sensory... work with therapy to break him of it...
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Its probably a sensory issue. A friend of mine has a child with the same issue.
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 4:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2011