Hard headed child!

Okay so my DD is SOOO hard headed I don't know what to do with her. She is 3 and a half and STAYS in time out. It goes like this. I ask her to pick up her books. She says no. I give her a 1 then a 2 then a 3 and a 3 min time out. I go to get her out of the time out and again ask her again to pick up. No- back to time out again and again and again. After 2 time outs I ask her again to pick them up and she says no. I tell her time out and she beings to scream bloody murder. At which point I carry her to her room. She screams it out in there. I ask her to clean up the blocks. 'no'. OMG back to time out! Finally after a full hour. the damn books got picked up. We have been doing this for about 3 months now. At Least twice a day we have a battle of wills. I am (this) close to spanking. any grand ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Tell her if she doesn't pick them up she can go to time-out and you'll get the garbage bag. =D
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Will she do it if you do it together. maybe try and make a game out of it. see who can get it done the fastest and if she wins she gets a sticker or sucker or some other reward?
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• It's not just picking up. It's 'time to get dress' 'let's come inside' 'don't throw toys' ... It doesn't matter.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• oh my gosh that is like my 3 year old. I have tried spanking and if she is hard headed like you say it may not fase her with spankings either. I also have tried doing it together it doesn't work she will help dust and help make the bed anything like that, but when it comes to picking up her toys that is a whole diffrent story. I want to see what answers you get as I am looking for ways too
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have had good luck with other kids making games out of cleaning or use a stop clock or timer and see how fast she can get dressed. Im not sure about the throwing toys though....
    Cherries12

Answer by Cherries12 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• This has happened to me with both my kids at one time or another (5 and 3-1/2). If they don't pick up their toys/books/what-have-you when asked, I take them away (and sometimes threaten to put the items in our upcoming yard sale). I used to put my kids in time-out--and sometimes still do--but I have found this latter step to be more effective. I also tell threaten to take away TV/desert/story time, which has also helped when the first two steps fail. Good luck!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 6:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Try giving her a heads' up that it will soon be time to do_________. Something like it is almost time to come inside, etc. Or setting a timer at 5 minutes might help. Make sure she gets plenty of positive one on one time with you and your SO too. Plus praise when she does things right. Sometimes kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• I have a strong-willed son. Have you tried making things into contests? Like for getting dressed..."ok! It's time for us to get dressed. Let's race to see who can do it the fastest!". Make it sound exciting and fun.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2011