is it normal to be scared about having your first child

im scared and confused about it and i really have noone to talk to about it all and my family dont help very much pls someone help me

bornangel

Asked by bornangel at 2:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• hmm scared isnt the icing on the cake!! but no need to b! i have 4 and luv it! it all comes to u the minute they r born its all instincts!!!
    rocknhot

Answer by rocknhot at 2:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I was terrified and I was not lucky enough to have any instincts kick in. I struggled with it but took evey parenting class I could find and got every book from the library I could find on parenting and what to expect! Knowledge is power. The first time I looked down at my six lb son and it hit me, OMG this little creature depends on me for everything. NOW WHAT? I was able to calm down and breathe and realize that I had enough knowledge from classes and reading to get started. I took each day as it came. He is now 35 and all is well. Please know that there are many moms here for you. Don't hestitate to ask for advice no matter how silly you might think the question is. Don't let any of it overwhelm you. Take baby steps (to steal a quote from the movie "What about Bob?") Add me as a friend if you want. Some days you just might need a hug or know someone is there for you.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Having a baby can be scary. Your life is about to change in a major way and it's very natural to be afraid. The good thing is that there are lot's of places and people that can help you. I agree with the books from the libary. There are a million great web sites. People will be able to help you. You can meet them at church, parks, online, all kinds of places. If you have family they'll be able to help with questions too. People here are great too. If you love your baby everything will be fine. That's the most important thing. Your doctor will be telling you things you need to be doing. You can always ask them any questions you have too. Then it's nice if you can find a friend that's older and has children that you can call if you have an emergency question. I'm here if you need anything. I love children and have been around them all my life. Take care!
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 7:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Oh my goodness YES! It's a huge change in your life. It's a huge responsibility to take on. If you weren't at least a little scared, I'd be worried for you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• It was for me. Everyone is different and I think it has to do with what your life is like, where you are in life, and who you are.

I was scared at first with my son but after I got over the shock and decided to try and make things work out with my husband (instead of fighting) I got so excited about my son.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• YES!! Sleep now while you can and accept help when offered.
    Misha_Barista

Answer by Misha_Barista at 2:18 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Those "motherly instincts" people are always talking about, really is true. After my twins were bown I looked at hubby and said "now what?" but as a parent you figure things out.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2008