Do you remember?

...your carseat when you were a kid? I'm 3 years older than my sister and I don't even remember HER having a carseat. I know we had some type of seat for infants but after that, I think we were just strapped into the backseat like anyone else (probably not even that come to think of it...my parents were never big on seatbelts).

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• Car seats? WTF was that back in the 70's? lmfao. Not only that, we sat in the front seat or in the back of a wagon roflmao!

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I dont think they had carseat laws when i was little. They didnt really start getting big until the late 80s.

Answer by gemgem at 6:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My husband, who is 27, has distinct memories of sitting in the bed of his dad's truck when he his sister was first born, which puts him at about 6. My sister, 29, had an infant car seat but nothing after that if you believe her "father". My mother swears she was in a car seat until about 2 or 3, but then seatbelt after that. My sister, 25, had a seat that she used until she was 4, because then I used it when I grew out of my first seat when I was about 18 months old. I was TINY when I was little and my mother made me sit in a carseat until I was like 7, which was highly unusual when I was little. I only know that because all of my friends made fun of me for it,because none of them had to ride in one. Even still, in some states, my sister and I do not pass laws that we don't need to be in booster seats.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I didn't have one. I can remember laying down and sleeping on the back seat for long car trips. My husband had a metal one with minimum padding. It had hooks that went over the back of the front seat and was pretty much only meant to keep an infant contained and out from under foot, not for safety in an accident.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:21 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I cant remember having one either. But I was born and raised in east germany. My parents didnt really have a car until the wall came down lol. But after that, when we finally had a car, yeah i think me and my brother had car seats. And we always had to wear seat belts.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I don't remember having one as an infant but I do remember that our family car didn't even have seatbelts in the backseat when I was younger. We'd take vacations down south and I remember climbing back and forth over the backseat to get in the far back of our station wagon. We'd also lie in the floorboard with our heads on the "hump" so we could sleep. It's amazing that we all survived but times were different back then.
    ZacsMom

Answer by ZacsMom at 6:50 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• yea i dunno but it makes me sick to think of how unsafe we all were. FOr me being a carseat natzi , it makes me sad to think that ppl will still not use carseats properly and say that they didnt use one and thier fine cuz its a miracle that we all survived.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 8:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• my brother and I were born in the late 80's. I remember his infant seat a little bit. I remember his front facing carseat and how I loved to sit in it and I could fit comfortably in it. I believe it was gray.
    For me: the only carseat I remember being mine was a booster type seat. I remember buying it as well and it had a bar over my lap and I would set my cheeseburgers on it when we drove thru Mcdonalds. Ahhh....memories.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 8:20 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Barely. It was this plastic flimsy thing that would be a joke today. It was more of a suggestion than a rule. Of course it wasn't a law back in the dinosaur days when I was a child. My car seat was mine, my brother's and my sister's. That is the only reason I can kind of remember. It had that 70's green and yellow for the flowers and was like white vinyl or something with a white plastic for the base. Very classy.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I had a booster seat so I could see out the window, lol. My brother is 8 years younger than I am (I'm 30) We were at the mall once when he was 3 years old and we ran into my friend and her mom, so I stayed with them when my mom,my brother and sister left. Just outside the parking lot my mom was in a horrible car accident where the front passenger seat of the mini van was ripped off the floor. My brother was sitting in it. No car seat, just a seat belt and it was perfectly acceptable at the time. My sister was in a carseat in the back (she wasn't even a year old) and it was ejected from the car. She was fine but when my mom called the carseat company they said they could only guarentee that the baby would stay in the carseat, not that the seat would stay in the car!
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2008